1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanting to have some pet chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by freadog, Nov 24, 2014.

1. freadog

freadog New Egg

Nov 24, 2014
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I finally have my wife convinced we should be chicken. Maybe, I put the horse before the cart so to speak. I am beginning to build a small coop but have no idea where to get chickens. lol I am not looking for exotic breeds but just friendly laying hens. We only want 4-5 chickens. How do you go about getting some chicks. Also, I am building a 3 foot by 5 foot coop, would this be big enough for 4-5 chickens. Thanks for any advice anyone offers. Thanks Ken

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Welcome to BYC! Maybe some BYC members near you will be able to help you with obtaining chickens. The only advice I can give you about coop size is to build the biggest coop you can afford because you will be wanting more chickens.

3. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC!

If you go to your state thread (see link below), you may find someone in your area with chicks for sale. It can be a bit difficult to get chicks through the hatcheries this time of year because it's hard to mail them with winter weather (and also with a smaller number) but you can order now for shipping in early spring. Some members have had good luck finding birds on Craigslist but we had a bad experience going that route so I personally don't recommend it.

Also, once you have 20 posts, you can use the Buy-Sell-Trade section of BYC.

Hope you find your birds!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/18195/new-mexico

4. freadog

freadog New Egg

Nov 24, 2014
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Thank you for the information, I was hesitant of craigslist.

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You need a bigger coop if you want 5 chickens. The minimum recommend coop space is 4 sq. ft. of floor area per bird (more is better) and if they are kept in an enclosed run as opposed to free ranging, the minimum recommend run space is 10 sq. ft. of ground area per bird (again more is better). A 3 X 5 coop will give you only 15 sq. ft. of floor area, but for 5 birds you will need at least 20 sq. ft. of floor area, and I would strongly recommend more as overcrowding can quickly lead to aggression, fights, biting and feather plucking, and even cannibalism. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built and in getting your flock.

8. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely do some chatting on the New Mexico thread as to where to get some good layers. Lots of people from Albuquerque and the East Mountains on that thread that should be able to direct you to a good place to get chicks in the spring.

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by