1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanting to know about Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Big Red Hen, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Big Red Hen

Big Red Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Smoaks, SC
    I see a lot of Marans on here. They look similar to Barred Rocks and Dominiques. Are they in the same family?? And are they expensive to purchase?

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

Cuckoo Marans have the same colour pattern as the others, but they are completely separate breeds. Once you get used to seeing the various breeds you'll be able to tell the differences in body shape.

3. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    The Marans you have been seeing that look similar to doms and rocks are the cuckoo Marans. There are several different color varieties of Marans, however.

Price depends on a lot of factors -- such as quality, age, location, the individual seller, and so on. You can even buy cuckoo Marans at some of the big commercial hatcheries these days. I wouldn't RECOMMEND doing that, but it can be done.

If you are interested in Marans, the most important thing I can tell you is to DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU BUY. It is very very easy to get bad quality birds right now. In order to get good birds and a good deal, you need to do the homework first!

If you'd like to learn more, ask questions here on BYC -- or join one of the several yahoogroups that are dedicated to Marans. I hope to see you around!

4. Big Red Hen

Big Red Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Smoaks, SC
    Thanks for the info. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by