Wanting to know why my rooster killed my female duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Reiki Rooster, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Reiki Rooster

Reiki Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2015
    Demorest, Georgia
    I have had a trio of jumbo pekins in the same pen as my trio of chickens at night for about 2 years now. All 6 of them are ages 4-2, no babies, and during the day, 7 am - just before sunset they are all out to grazy, play in pond, eat bugs whatever. I've NEVER had any problems, even feeding, ducks would eat out of a dog bowl, chickens eat their scratch. I pen up my goats ( separate pen ), change water, whatever so I watch them every night eating. Their pen is 10'x20', the chicken coop is 3 feet off the ground and chicken sleeping space, ducks have a spot on the ground, similar housing design, just another house. I can post pic if needed.

This morning I went out to let everyone out and one of my female ducks ( 2 yr old ), was dead, my male was standing guard over the remaining female. I don't understand what would cause the change, is it even safe to let everyone roam during the day? I'm building a new pen today, my ducks and chickens will not spend another night together. I'm just dumbfounded, and this was so blindsided hurts my heart for that poor girl, want to understand why, so I can prevent something so needlessly again.

Oh I should say, hubby works nights so someone is always home to keep and eye on all the animals, during the day grazing time, fenced in acre for fowl :)

2. pattyhen

pattyhen Chicks Ducks oh my

Apr 20, 2007
    Are you sure the rooster killed the duck? Did anyone see him attacking the duck? It may have been a preditor that got in the pen and killed her.

3. Reiki Rooster

Jun 27, 2015
    Demorest, Georgia
    No I didn't, it was night, but nothing is disturbed that I can see. No tunnels under fencing, fence itself isn't bent or anything out of normal, and the top is fenced also. Around the frames of welded wire I also cemented and placed rocks around the perimeter of pen so predators have to tunnel a little bit of a distance. And it's 6 foot welded wire and an additional 2 feet of chicken wire so top is 8 feet, not an easy climb. I've been outside all day with everyone, just finished new duck pen, and everyone is acting normal. My dog didn't seem to notice any scents that drew her attention, she walks outside pens multiple times a day with us, but I did have her with me in them today.

I think I'll tare everything out of chicken pen on the ground, stumps, and old duck house...maybe a rattle snake?? Didn't think of that until now, I live in Georgia and it has been warm here mid 70's, maybe their coming out now?!!

Thank you so much

4. animalgrl

animalgrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2015
    I thought chickens couldn't see well at night? Unless your pen is lit, it seems unlikely that the rooster would be moving around enough to at night to get down in the duck area and kill your duck. Can you explain why you think the rooster did it? What kind of visible injuries does the duck have? Maybe others can help solve the mystery.

I hope all of your other birds are doing alright.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree I don't think a rooster could kill a Jumbo Pekin does she have wounds? I am thinking a predator also.
    Very sorry for your loss.

6. Reiki Rooster

Jun 27, 2015
    Demorest, Georgia
    My pens have motion lights around perimeter, and it does light up the inside a bit, the goats trip them if they walk near the door at night. I did see wounds on her back and missing feathers, but no huge gashes, or even anything that I could say would be caused by a spur. I should of taken pics, but I already buried her. My hubby just woke up ( night shift ) he's going to help me remove everything from bottom of pen in a little bit. The only thing predator wise would of had to gone through the welded wire holes, 2 inch by 4 inch. I double checked entire pen for signs of a break in. I'll take pics and post might help.

I cannot thank you all enough for your advice and all the help. Truly thank you

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mink and weasel can go through 1" wire yep 1" so that could be your predator and they will come back.
    also other preds like Raccoon will reach their arms through fencing and grab a bird and try to pull it threw the fence @Tevyes Dad dad can tell you about this and many others that have lost ducklings/ ducks this way. Hardware cloth half inch is the only thing that will keep out preds.

8. Reiki Rooster

Jun 27, 2015
    Demorest, Georgia
    Ah, I will get the 1/2 inch hardware cloth in the morning and cover the outside of all my pens with it. Saw no snakes, so that's good at least. I made a pallet pen and moved them to the center of my larger pen ( 20' x 30' ), I have mom and son pygmies in it, and they cannot budge it. Thank goodness I put them in the center of the pen.

Can weasels get through the hardware cloth? I have extra chicken wire and some dog fencing, I'm going to wrap the pallet pen with both now, and pray nothing happens tonight. Chickens are roosted on the roof of their coop, about 5 feet up, think they will be alright? If I have enough I'll just wrap the bottom of their pen too. Thank you

Sorry, cannot take pics, no cell and misplaced my camera.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  9. Tevyes Dad

Tevyes Dad Leader of the Quack Premium Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Montana

Yup. The ducks were in a gazebo made of 1" x 3" welded wire. 35+ lb raccoon could never get in but pulled one bird through and ate it and took the head off a second one. Came back every third day until I gave him a Pb sandwich.

10. Reiki Rooster

Jun 27, 2015
    Demorest, Georgia
    Oh my gosh, I would of thought the ducks would just move away from the fence. I'm getting the hardware cloth in the morning, even my quarantine pen. I believe I'm going to invest in so game cameras too. Thank you so much to everyone.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by