1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanting to move my youngsters to the coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hansen6dad, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Hansen6dad

Hansen6dad Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    [​IMG]

I have 3 Barred Rock and 1 Partridge Silkie pullets that are 6 weeks old and are too crowded inside their brooder. I live in south Mississippi, so the winters are pretty mild. The temperatures for the next 10 days will be hihgs between 50 and 70, and the lows between 40 and 55 with one of those nights at 33. My coop is 4' X 6' enclosed and off of the ground. I do have a door on the front that I can close. If I put pine shavings into the coop and a 75 watt light bulb in there, will my girls be OK? I have heard that when you first introduce them to the coop you should lock them in there for a week, so they get used to it and know that is where they need to sleep. Please advise! I am really wanteing them out of the house.

2. Muffin14143

Muffin14143 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    Your chicks should be fine in those temperatures. Just be sure to watch them and see how they take to their new surroundings. If they seem stressed, it might be a good idea to take them inside for the night. Make sure they are all inside and close the door when you "put them to bed". Your coop is really cute by the way! You're lucky, in New England its freezing right now! Good luck with your little chickies!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'd go for it. I don't have silkies but I'd expect that one to be OK but silkies make me nervous. 'm not sure if I should consider them chickens or not.

I'd leave them locked in there for a few days, partly to see if that helps them go to bed in there when you open up the run to them but mainly to keep wind off them. I don't even know that you need the heat, but as long as you don't start a fire it should not hurt them. Just try to keep it in a corner and keep ventilation open up high so they can find a cooler spot if they get too warm.

I have my brooder in the coop from Day 1. If you have electricity to that and there are no adult chickens you need to protect them from, there is no reason they could not have been out there from Day 1.

4. I would have put them out at least 2 weeks ago. 6 weeks old is good to go.

Best of wishes to ya.

5. Hansen6dad

Dec 30, 2012
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    My chicks did fine on their first night outside. The temp got down to about 50, but the 75 watt lightbulb kept the coop btween 65 and 70. No problems!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Just for your info, last Fall I had 5-1/2 week old chicks in my unheated grow-out coop when the overnight lows hit the mid-20’s Fahrenheit. They were fine.

A couple of differences in mine and yours. Mine were acclimated. I had a big enough brooder and only heated one end so the rest could cool down quite a bit. They were used to playing in colder temperatures. I think that helps them feather out faster.

The other difference is that I don’t have silkies. I’m just not familiar with them and what they can take. I really doubt there is that much difference but I just don’t know and I try to not assume too much.

7. Muffin14143

Muffin14143 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    New England
    Yes, as Ridgerunner said, it would be a good idea to watch the silkie. I wouldn't take her out of the flock, that could mess up their little pecking order, but I would see how she does. My silkie has always been a little fragile and sensitive. They should be fine though. I tend to baby my chickens a lot, and mine are out in this kind of weather so I'm sure yours will be fine. I highly recommend you at least check on them each night for a while, and make sure they are all snuggled up inside before closing the door.

8. It's nice getting them to the coops. Looks like a nice home for them. Your biggest concern will be keeping them cool in the summer. It does get a bit warm here doesn't it. [​IMG]

9. Hansen6dad

Dec 30, 2012
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Yes it does, but the place where I put my coop is shaded about half of the day, and they can go under the coop for shade also if need be.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by