Wanting to raise baby chicks

Koniucha

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Arizona
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have never owned chicken before but we are wanting to have our own small flock in the near future. I have a few questions/concerns. First, this is a residential home, so there is not alot of land. I also currently have rocks everywhere, but do plan on putting in grass when the time comes around again. Should I wait until I have grass in the backyard to get them?

The second is regarding raising the very young ones. Ideally, that is what i would like. I live with my six year old daughter and it would be a wonderful experience for us both. My concern is my work schedule. I would be keeping them inside in a brooder, but on the days that I do work, I am out of the house for 11 to 12 hrs a day. I work three and four days a week, depending on the week. Is that too much time away from them when they are so young? I am going to see if I can get someone to check on them on those days, but that is no gaurantee.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

shelbydog

Songster
7 Years
Dec 30, 2012
Bristow, ok
I can relate to the 11-12 hours away from home and it's not a problem. Just be sure their heat source is secure and they have room to get away from it. Get a feeder and waterer that will hold enough nourishment while you away.

My #1 tip, make sure to have corid on hand. No matter how clean you keep the brooder or give medicated food a cocci outbreak can still occur.

ChickenLegs13

Songster
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
Lower Alabama
You can raise chickens on rocks, grass, dirt or whatever you got.
They only need 5 minutes of your time each day, or however it long it takes to fill the feeder & waterer. If you use a large feeder & waterer then it takes 5 minutes every 2 or 3 days.
Your 6 year old could handle that chore.

Koniucha

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Arizona
I guess my concern is something I was reading that baby chicks can get a condition that their butts get plugged up with poo. I can't remember what is is called right now. I though maybe they needed to be observed more often.

JessicaThistle

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Oregon
You will love it! I just got my first flock and I am in love with everything about those 8 little adorable faces. I had no idea how funny they are and fun they are.

Alert: You will not want to stay gone so long. You will be so curious what they are up to and just went to get home to watch them. Lol!

ShockValue

Songster
10 Years
Jan 10, 2010
West Sound, Washington
I would just try and time it that when you first bring them home you have a couple of days off just so you can get things "dialed in" (heat, food, etc).

After that being away for a while is no big deal.

Now that I'm using a "No waste" chicken feeder and horizontal nipples for a waterer, the only attention they need from me is brooder cleaning and treat/snuggle time! :)

Koniucha

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Arizona
I can relate to the 11-12 hours away from home and it's not a problem. Just be sure their heat source is secure and they have room to get away from it. Get a feeder and waterer that will hold enough nourishment while you away.

My #1 tip, make sure to have corid on hand. No matter how clean you keep the brooder or give medicated food a cocci outbreak can still occur.
Where do I purchase corid?

Top Bottom