1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wanting to sleep in nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rickchick, Feb 8, 2014.

1. rickchick

rickchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    i have 6 new chics about 5 wk old 2 started laying 2 want to roost in box at night how do I get them to sleep with the others without picking up boxes at night and outing back am

2. CrazyChookLady5

CrazyChookLady5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2013
    Australia, NSW
    at night when they roost in the box, pick them up and put them on the roost, where you want them, you'll have to do this for maybe a week or less, and soon they should just start to roost where you want them

:D

1 person likes this.
  3. Oh, chicken minds! Sometimes our girls will lay on the roost poop board and roost in the nestboxes. I agreewith Chloe--put them on the roost if you catch them at it.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    5 week old chicks don't lay eggs.

Make sure roosts are higher than nest.

Block off nests until pullets are closer to laying age to get them in the habit of not sleeping in nests.

Or remove from nests to roosts for a week or so, they should start to change their habits.

5. rickchick

Jan 27, 2014
    thanks for the come back. problem solved picked up nesting boxes at bed time and put out in the morning.it only took 3 times. they all sleep in correct place thanks

6. rickchick

Jan 27, 2014
    had to go out at night and put them on roost. it only took 3 times thanks for the come back

7. rickchick

Jan 27, 2014
    exactly what I did it only took 3 times. who says chickens aren't smart thanks for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by