1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanting To Start 4-H Chicken Club Need Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickengirl4, Mar 6, 2013.

1. chickengirl4

chickengirl4 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    PA
    Hey Everyone,
    I am very involved in 4-H. I show horses, lambs, and cows and am also part of the County Council. However my county does not have poultry club which makes me kind of sad. I really want to start one because i feel as if its a good learning experience and it lets kids who love chickens like me meet other kids who love them too. I need help if any of you are leaders or members or ex members and could give me some ideas or things to start it off so I can run it by my extention office that would be great. I really need help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Junaleefarm

Junaleefarm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    Crane, Mo
    We live in SW Missouri so this is broiler chicken country. Our county has a large broiler chicken club and competition at the fair every year. The kids actually get free baby chicks to raise and show from one of the big chicken places. I think that 4-H can be kind of regional so if chickens aren't big in your area then they will not be that popular. Though on the local level we do just about any project in our club that we wish- we don't ask permission from extension. Just see who would be interested and have a meeting and discuss all things poultry.

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I would start with your extension office and what they think. Maybe have them put out a mailer or email to all the clubs in their district to see if there is any interest. I assume your intent is to form a club with others for just chickens but you don't have to have a club to show them. My son plans on showing a couple of our girls this year and his club is called Hoof and Whiskers. I don't believe that there is club in our district that is poultry only. Most of the kids that show chickens also show other animals as well and are involved in many different clubs,that meaning 4-Hers are from different clubs not multiple clubs but my daughter is in multiple ones. Another alternative is to piggyback on your current club,even with just a couple of other 4-Hers just to get going. Then when you have enough you can break off to your own club. But like I said start with the extension office first. Good luck.

4. chickengirl4

Mar 6, 2013
    PA
    Yeah it would be fine except they had a bad thing of chicken flu go through once and then they stoped it but iknow some kids i was talking to who would want to do it and they want to show also

5. chickengirl4

Mar 6, 2013
    PA
    Alrighty i will be sure to do that thanks for your input :)

6. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

7. chickengirl4

Mar 6, 2013
    PA
    Well in my county we have every animal except for chickens. And all of them are seperat clubs except for the one witch is a combination on pigs sheep and cows. But thank you for the input :)

8. dairygirl

dairygirl New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    In Illinois, we can form SPIN clubs ( special interest club). As a leader, I'm in the process of starting a dairy club. Check with your Extention office, we were told we need a leader and at least 5 members. All of our members are in regular 4-h clubs, but meet to do dairy related activities. I don't know what's available in your area, but your club could go on tours, attend poultry shows, invite speakers to your meetings, etc. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. bellachicks

bellachicks Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    Maryland USA
    Hi. I am reading this thread and wondering how things are for you.
    I'm in Maryland and experiencing the same thing you described!

10. chickengirl4

Mar 6, 2013
    PA
    Well actually things are going good because my county got one of the barns cleared up so we have room for chickens now so im now pushing even harder for one and my dad agreed to be the leader witch is great because he grew up on a commercial chicken farm and had over 1400 chickens! So he will teach us how to show and be our leader he just has to be aproved!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by