Wanting to start getting chickens, any suggestions on which?

Chicken Wizperer

Chirping
Aug 16, 2018
So, for a couple of weeks now I have been desperate to get chickens. Since this will be my first time owning them I was wondering if anyone here had any good suggestions of breeds for first time owners. Thanks!

I first had ee's, then bantams of all sorts, and I will be placing an order for black Australorps and cuckoo means, and a pair of SLW's after I get my new coop this weekend. Bantams are pretty fun, and a lot easier to take care of in my opinion. I've had seramas, silver duckwings, mottled oegb's, Pyncheons, and now I have a pair of mystery bannies and a little silver game bannie pullet. What colors do you like? What are you wanting to accomplish with them? (I.E purpose of you getting them)

I first had ee's, then bantams of all sorts, and I will be placing an order for black Australorps and cuckoo means, and a pair of SLW's after I get my new coop this weekend. Bantams are pretty fun, and a lot easier to take care of in my opinion. I've had seramas, silver duckwings, mottled oegb's, Pyncheons, and now I have a pair of mystery bannies and a little silver game bannie pullet. What colors do you like? What are you wanting to accomplish with them? (I.E purpose of you getting them)
I was just hoping to keep them for their eggs. But my mother is maybe suggesting to use some for shows. Maybe.

With chicken showing, I know that can get difficult very easily... Are you looking for colored eggs? If so do you want a variety or colors (browns, blues, greens, pinks, white)? Do you want occasional layers? Or a steady producing hen? Do you want your hens to be colorful? (Sorry for all the questions lol)

I love Speckled Sussex. French black or blue copper Marans, and Rocks... ALL good birds. Easter Eggers are a favorite but a real mixed bag of cool or neurotic. Wyandottes are too broody for me. And Orpington weren't as friendly as people claim plus heavy on the feed bill. My very favorite is to have a variety. The eye candy on pasture plus surprise when collecting for the egg basket adds extra interest and fun plus makes it easier to tell if someone is having an issue. :pop

Check out these comparison charts...

https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/pickachicken.pdf

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Putting your location in your profile will help people make better suggestions tailored to you. ;)

ETA: get feed store chicks if you can to avoid any possible illness or disease.

First time I ordered chickens I got a variety. After keeping them for a couple years I knew which breeds of chickens I like the best. I like eggs, but don't want too many eggs as I can't eat or even give away 4 or 5 dozen eggs a week. My chickens are now Salmon Faverolles and Cochins. I like the looks of big fluffy chickens. They do go broody but I still can get more eggs than I need so that's okay.

Since I have few and goal is eggs hands down. I bought the best breed layers which are most highly rated. Golden Buffs, Barred Rock, and Speckled Sussex. Golden Buff hens get about 4 lbs and are quiet and easy on the feed bill but still produce large brown eggs. My Speckled Sussex love cuz she always comes to greet me and follows me. Social little thing. Mine are all large brown egg layers. Have fun!

First time I ordered chickens I got a variety. After keeping them for a couple years I knew which breeds of chickens I like the best. I like eggs, but don't want too many eggs as I can't eat or even give away 4 or 5 dozen eggs a week. My chickens are now Salmon Faverolles and Cochins. I like the looks of big fluffy chickens. They do go broody but I still can get more eggs than I need so that's okay.

Ok just have to ask cuz so cute wamtazlady. What type of little dog is your avatar? Name?

I am a first time chicken owner. My girls are now 11 weeks old. I opted for a rainbow with 2 reliable layer breeds in.
I have an EE, OE, Black copper maran for colors and a speckled Sussex and a barred rock for reliable laying. I can only have 3 chicken by code so my 5 are already stretching it. Personality wise my SS, BR, and BMC are the sweetest but they all get along not much squabbling at all.

Back
Top Bottom