Wanting to start raising chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wendychicken, Oct 1, 2013.

1. wendychicken

wendychicken Out Of The Brooder

Hello everyone, I have been looking into starting raising chickens. I moved and the house I am in already has 2 coups. I am thinking of getting 3 chickens but have no idea what breed to get and what age they should be? I really like silkies but wasnt sure are there hardiness for winter and egg production. Please anyone can help a starter please message me.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! The Learning Center would be a good place to start. There is a lot of great articles on things like hatching and raising chicks, diseases, flock management and more. Check out the Breeds section for more on the different breeds and their characteristics. Good luck with your chicken adventures!

3. wendychicken

Thanks I have been researching like crazy. Cant wait to finally get some hens.

4. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from College Station, Texas! How nice that you already have a coop. I'm partial to Ameraucanas (Easter Eggers) for their friendly personalities, smarts and egg laying.

5. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    [​IMG]

6. wendychicken

I am in south western Nova Scotia. Anyone know any breeders out here?

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  8. wendychicken

Thank you so much. Its great to have so much support.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You may want to peruse the Silkiy thread - there are several dedicated silkie threads - they could offer better advice about the breed. Silkies are not known as great layers but, I've seen photos on BYC of them out in the snow with other breeds. They ARE known to be great broodies - which is really neat of you don't want to use an incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by