Wanting to try organic Grass feed ground beef....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Gonzo, May 16, 2010.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Has anyone tried organic grass feed ground beef? Can you tell a difference? I'm considering ordering some, and wanted to see if anyone has tried it.
    thanks in advance!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Try it.

You'll like it.

3. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I don't know about organic grass feed beef, but I do know there is a difference in grass fed and grain fed beef.

We feed our own out and then haul to the butcher. MAJOR difference in taste. The hamburger came out very lean with little drainage after frying it. The meat is scrumptous! Plus we knew exactly what was fed to the steer from time of birth to processing time.

4. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Quote:I was wrong! I meant just grass fed. (shows what I know! [​IMG] )
    I have a herd share from a farm in Kentucky where I get our milk, I'm wanting to order some ground beef, and cheese, and pork loin.... The shipping cost is gonna kill me though!

5. kidcallous

kidcallous Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    Central Florida
    Grass fed beef does taste different than the 'normal' beef you would buy at the grocery store. It IS a little more expensive to buy grassfed, but it is worth the money. Grass fed tastes fresher, if that makes sense. Cows were meant to eat grass, and when they are fed corn - like in conventional factory farming - their digestive tract develops e.coli. Yeah. pretty gross.

Grass fed is 100 times better for you, and In my personal opinion, I think it tastes better, but that could just be because I know the cows live a happier life, being able to graze the fields like they were meant to do..

6. dot n'dave

dot n'dave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    Thanks for posting Gonzo!
    I was looking today at a few of my local grass fed cattle farms online and am considering investing in a order. I've been reading a lot of books on the subject and I get bad thoughts when I eat that feed lot meat. I just wish more people knew what badness they were supporting buying from these huge companies.

7. Mary_Ann

Mary_Ann Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    It's great! I also get free ranging pork from a rancher here in MD - the difference is amazing and sooo very good!

Mary Ann

8. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Quote:You had to bring up the pork!!!! I just know I'm gonna be ordering some of that too! [​IMG] I have 3lbs of 1/2" loin chops on my list.... I can't wait!
    Thank You Mary Ann!

9. Gonzo

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    dot n'dave :

Thanks for posting Gonzo!
    I was looking today at a few of my local grass fed cattle farms online and am considering investing in a order. I've been reading a lot of books on the subject and I get bad thoughts when I eat that feed lot meat. I just wish more people knew what badness they were supporting buying from these huge companies.

Awhile back I saw something... I don't remember where, but a lady was going off! She said we're terrible for eating cows and pigs etc. we should just buy our meat at the grocery store like everybody else so no animals will die! [​IMG] Wow! Talk about a sheltered life! [​IMG]

10. dot n'dave

dot n'dave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    Quote:Awhile back I saw something... I don't remember where, but a lady was going off! She said we're terrible for eating cows and pigs etc. we should just buy our meat at the grocery store like everybody else so no animals will die! [​IMG] Wow! Talk about a sheltered life! [​IMG]

WHAT!!??
    What a wacko!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by