1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wanting to use cornish rock broilers in a breeding program

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by syble, Feb 21, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i understand that they are rather unfit in general, and have a high mortality rate. But i would like to add some of their finer qualities to a project bird. But i'm looking for some information from others who may have kept them long term? It would be a breeding project for the next spring (2012). I figure a breeding expidition would be too strenuous for cocks, so i was thinking of keeping over a few hens. If i get them late in the year, and keep them on feed restrictions, will they atleast a couple, make it to lay in the spring? I dont need them to last forever, just for one spring, maybe into summer.
    Thanks
    Sib

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You'd best ask this in the Meat Birds, etc section. [​IMG] I've heard it can be done though!

3. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    thanks, seeing as i cant move it, i'll have to repost.
    Thanks
    Sib

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes, I have done it and you will find in the meat birds section that there are others such as Brunty Farms and at least two others that I know off are doing this too. And yes if you raise them on the same feed regiment as you would any regular chicken, they will turn out just like a hefty looking White Rock and will be able to lay and all that good stuff and would be great for a meat bird project. I plan start a project like this back up again too and breed for black and barred birds that grow heavy and fast to sell young meat birds to the local hispanics and others at the livestock sale here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by