Wanting to use proper feed.

Beth21

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 7, 2014
I just put my 9 week old chicks in with my adult chickens. Is their a feed that both can eat and both have the benefits they need?

Yes. You can feed almost anything BUT Layer. The younger birds cannot handle the high calcium and it is hard on their renal systems.

Feed, Grower, Raiser, even Starter non-med. Just provide your laying hens some calcium source, like crushed shells, on the side. Normally, the younger birds don't mess with it as their bodies aren't craving it.

We have a bin that has layer that we just bought. Can we finish that off first, then start with the other feed? And do we need to go ahead and switch?

So is an all stock feed ok. I doesn't say it's for chickens. What the best one type of feed you recomend

It would be best to keep 9 week old chicks away from calcium content of older birds. Most adult rations are around 2.5% calcium. During the growing period the high risk of nephrosis, visceral gout, calcium urate deposits in the ureters, can cause high mortality. Too high of a content of calcium can also tie up phosphorous levels and cause rickets. At around 4 months of age, or about 2 weeks before laying, that calcium content won't be a threat to their health and development.

So is an all stock feed ok. I doesn't say it's for chickens. What the best one type of feed you recomend

Actually, it's an All Flock feed. Not All Stock. There are so many choices. See what your local feed store sells. Just remember, Grower is also fine. Non medicated Starter is also fine. Don't forget to pick up some calcium source for your laying hens. Perhaps you already feed back their own shells crushed. Many folks do this as well.

Back
Top Bottom