1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wanting to use proper feed.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beth21, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Beth21

Beth21 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    I just put my 9 week old chicks in with my adult chickens. Is their a feed that both can eat and both have the benefits they need?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes. You can feed almost anything BUT Layer. The younger birds cannot handle the high calcium and it is hard on their renal systems.

Feed, Grower, Raiser, even Starter non-med. Just provide your laying hens some calcium source, like crushed shells, on the side. Normally, the younger birds don't mess with it as their bodies aren't craving it.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    It's easiest to feed a grower or all flock feed and just provide oyster or egg shells on the side for the layers.

4. Beth21

Jan 7, 2014
    We have a bin that has layer that we just bought. Can we finish that off first, then start with the other feed? And do we need to go ahead and switch?

5. Fred's Hens

You need to switch.

A couple of days is no issue, but for a month? No, no, that's not good.

6. Beth21

Jan 7, 2014
    So is an all stock feed ok. I doesn't say it's for chickens. What the best one type of feed you recomend

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It would be best to keep 9 week old chicks away from calcium content of older birds. Most adult rations are around 2.5% calcium. During the growing period the high risk of nephrosis, visceral gout, calcium urate deposits in the ureters, can cause high mortality. Too high of a content of calcium can also tie up phosphorous levels and cause rickets. At around 4 months of age, or about 2 weeks before laying, that calcium content won't be a threat to their health and development.

8. Fred's Hens

Actually, it's an All Flock feed. Not All Stock. There are so many choices. See what your local feed store sells. Just remember, Grower is also fine. Non medicated Starter is also fine. Don't forget to pick up some calcium source for your laying hens. Perhaps you already feed back their own shells crushed. Many folks do this as well.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Your young ones still have a lot of growing to do so I try to keep mine on Turkey Grower as it has a 20% Protein for a healthy body

10. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    All stock is the cheap heavy molasses , high filler livestock (horse, cattle, goat) feed. Not good for them much less chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by