wants a dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kralc, Mar 22, 2013.

1. kralc

kralc New Egg

May 8, 2011
    our fanily has chickens and kids, we would like to have a dog, we have tried two times with two different kinds of dogs and both have killed some of our chickens. we want a dog that will not kill chickens and is good with kids and doesn't have to be pened or tied up, any ideas?

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

Train your dogs.
    Every one of my dogs have killed chickens as pups. You need to train them to understand that chickens are yours and off limits. We have 9 dogs, at least that many cats, free range chickens, and free range rabbits.

That said, I just bought 50 layers last night to replace those killed by a stray, that I have chained up. Going to try to train him when it warms up.

Shawn

3. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Yes it is your responsibility to train a dog, what do you mean by you "have tried with 2 different types of dogs" so where are they now? Dogs don't come to us ready trained to behave in the way we want them to, it takes work, yes some dogs will be easier to train and don't have the killer instinct, are you wanting a pup or an older dog?

4. Redyre Rotties

Redyre Rotties Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I suggest this kind if you don't want to have to confine it in any way. Guaranteed not to roam, kill chickens, and does not require any training.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    [​IMG] Nearly spat my drink all over my laptop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by