WAR

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rikithemonk, Nov 24, 2012.

1. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    It all started with scat. I kept finding dark black animal droppings near my coop. I was thinking a cat, as the scat was only slightly bigger than my toy breed dogs poop. So what ever it was, it was a small to medium sized animal.

Tonight, I glanced out the window and noticed that the solar flood light that I have pointing at my coop door was pointing at the sky. Turned on the porch lights and saw a predator standing right next to my coop. A medium sized possum. A possum is stalking my coop. I threw on some pants and grabbed my pump BB gun but this was pointless. I made enough noise to wake the dead and the possum was long gone. I purchased traps back when I first started with chickens. Just in case I ever needed them.

I'm a city boy and I need a crash course on possum. This is WAR and my girls are in danger. My plan is to set the traps tomorrow using a can of tuna as bate. what I really need is experience now. You who know, teach me about possum.

Riki

2. bigoledude

bigoledude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2011
    SE, Louisiana
    Possums kill more chickens than any other predator we have down here. He have alot of coons but, they catch on real quick to the deadly consequences of approaching our chickens.

Possums are very easy to catch. I use sardines or fish guts mixed with strawberry preserves as bait. Drop a little around your trap to give them a taste and, they are YOURS!

We have dogs and cats that we must protect from harm so, I use the DP (dog-proof) type traps. These traps catch only raccoon, possum and some people say they do a good job of catching skunks. I am still waiting to hear if they work on the "weasel" family of predators.
    http://www.rpoutdoors.com/dudpcotr.html
    http://www.rpoutdoors.com/dufdogresrac.html
    http://www.rpoutdoors.com/cooncuff.html

I get the worst results using the cage-type traps.

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    My oppossum strategy is simple. Make so birds roosting in elevated locations or away from wire; best if both. Always have live trap set. When free-ranging oppossum encountered, do not go back into house, go into action even when just in underware. No matter how big or small a oppossum might be, I will pursue it and catch it by tail using bare hands. Avoid greenish white stuff that comes from critter's butt as that smells bad. They have lots of sharp teeth but in my expereince do not use them defensively. Once oppossum is in hand hold so tail tip protruding from your hand is thumb side and body is pinky side so load easier to pack. Keep critter away from your body as walking because they can scratch although not in same league as cat or even raccoon. I dispatch by stomping on back of head or blungeoning with some heavy like a tire iron. If fire arm used, then my preference in .22 rifle.

4. rikithemonk

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    Well, today was a hardware store day. Replaced my coop door with a new, more secure one. The old was a draw bridge style door, the new one is a vertical slider. I also leveled the sand, filled in the diggings and checked the perimeter.

Outside my run, near the corner, one of my spot lights was pushed over by the possum last night. This is where I just set up my cage trap. Now I hunker down and wait.

Riki

Now for the survey. When I catch it, should I kill it or relocate it? What do you all think?

5. Malibu99

Malibu99 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2012
    Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    When it is caught, I'd kill it. Relocating it just gives your problem to someone else. :) Hope your birds stay safe.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I routinely kill oppossums although if law allowed, you would not have to move them more than a mile to two to keep one away. I in many areas release them elsewhere is not legal and killing is relatively practical. I have tried multiple times to train oppossums to leave area but they seem to have a hard time learning. When chicks or brooding hens not involved, then I simply make certain oppossum can not get to roosting birds and suffer no losses.

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I STRONGLY suggest not getting yourself into a situation where you get your hand bit. A opossum's mouth is a breeding ground for seriously nasty bacteria of the deadly kind. I would make sure you have tall bite proof boots on before charging after a opossum. I have used a shovel a couple times when they are not yet in the trap. One hard hit to the base of the head will kill it instantly. The best bet though is live trap and a 22 to the head. Get rid of it quick, those things stink to high heaven after you dispatch em. Best of luck to you.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  8. rikithemonk

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    So far it's midnight. No sign of him. Yesterday I saw him around ten or eleven pm.. I was hoping to have him trapped by now. I must be patient.

Hard to do

Riki

9. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    Possums, raccons and skunks, here in OK, all are presumed rabid. Kill 'em daid and burn the carcass. Tip for skunk, toss clear plastic over the trap before you shoot so you can see your target and not get sprayed. Gonna stink no matter what. BLECH!

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have been able to handle possums easy to get them out of a trap.Coons forget it.Snowing here,but will be checking my trap soon.Never know what I am going to get.Relocate or kill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by