1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ware backyard hutch for temporary use.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MissusDee, Apr 8, 2011.

1. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I am seriously considering getting one of these to use as a separation/health clinic/duckling run in my existing duck pen. I have 2 4 week old mallards I would love to be able to put outside with the other ducks, but I am very worried about the older teenaged ducks attacking them. I have already put them outside on nice weather days in a fenced in area, and the buffs seem very interested in bothering them. Any thoughts on how this will work in a pen that is about 14 ft by 8 ft, and covered? I thought too it could be used as a way to let them out more as well. I know that the hutch itself would not be great for say, leaving ducks in overnight because it wouldn't be that safe from predators, but it will be kept inside a predator proof pen most of the time. I thought for the low cost and the fact it needed little assembly, that this would be ideal for me, and I like the idea of a shelter against the wind or wetness if needed. Anyone ever had one of these? Anyone have any thoughts?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I do not know what the ware hutch is - but I am all for getting babies outside and into the sun/grass/ground.

If the top is covered - that is really nice as you do not have to worry about overhead predators as much. Or cats jumping in, or the other ducks hopping up and getting into the ducklings.

3. MissusDee

Feb 7, 2011
    Yeah I went ahead and ordered one, I figured it would come in handy for various things pet and duck related. I was never impressed with the rabbit hutch/chicken hutch they make that they seem to sell everywhere you buy chicks,ducks and rabbits and the feed, but I am sure I can make modifications if needed, and I don't have to build my own. I want to get these babies out of my house, they are outgrowing the brooder, and like being outside.

4. MissusDee

Feb 7, 2011
    Just going to update this just in case anyone is considering this for some reason. It will work for what I want to use it for (keeping 4 week old ducklings with my bigger birds while they all adjust to living with each other) and is easy to put together. It also is a lot sturdier and better built than I thought it would be, though the cage openings are pretty big for say, leaving outside unprotected, I will be keeping this inside my existing duck pen. I can see putting hardware cloth on the outside, and a suburbanite using it for two small pullets to use overnight, if they put a perch in it somehow, some bantams or even two mallards (I tried a mallard in there and she had plenty of room), or light weight ducks. It would probably be ok to use for 1 large (measured with my pekin) duck if it needed a place to rest for an illness, or had a clutch of ducklings and needed separating. I would think it sad though if something along those lines was always kept most of the time in this thing, but would make a nice chicken tractor in the daytime if you wanted to. No bottom, but it could be modified I guess. I could see a child keeping an indoor rabbit in one for an outdoor playpen easy, which is what I think is it's primary purpose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by