Ware chicken coops

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
Anyone ever use a chicken villa by Ware manufacturing? I was thinking about getting one to house my little Seramas in. They seem kinda pricey but cute. Im kinda a go ahead and spend the money type right now instead of waiting 6 months for DH's help to build one.

I have 4 coops right now and 4 ordered (coming in the mail) from Ware manuf. (I have 3 different models.)

I love them. I know some folks complain that they don't last out in the elements, poor quality, etc.

The reason I love them is that they are ready-made, and I don't have to go to someone's house from craigslist to buy it. I buy mine from the feed store and internet. The oldest model (chick-n-hutch) that I have is from maybe 4? years ago.

Yes, they don't last long in the elements AND look good. One of the models leaks when it rains and I put a tarp over it (a rabbit hutch). They are made from wood that is very flimsy and designed to be lightweight. But I keep buying them!
smile.png

We have the Chick-N-Hutch and we had the Chick-N-Barn. We use the former as the isolation pen for assorted reasons. The Barn we used as a temporary summer shelter. We gave it to a friend of DH's to use as a pattern for a larger coop based on that design.

The wood on those two is very flimsy. Fine for summer, not good for Michigan winters. Also, the Chick-N-Hutch once blew over in a strong wind. Luckily no birds were in it
smile.png

I have two that I bought in a "I have no time to build something" moment... they fell apart in one way or another within months. I got them on sale at a HUGE discount, so I got my money out of them and it served it's temporary purpose. I wouldn't buy one and expect it to be a forever home... and I certainly wouldn't pay full price. I have kept mine under tarp from the begining because it was obvious the wood was flimsy. The lid flew off one in a storm and broke right off (chick-n-hutchs both of them) and now I put a paver on top to keep it down on it. The "poo tray" fell out when the wood slots it sat on fell off....

like I said, I wouldn't pay full price and I wouldn't expect it to last as a forever home.
wink.png

They are nice as isolation coops since they are well-ventilated and have perches in them and easy to clean. But, like TnChickenut said, they are not permanent. You can get them at TSC if you don't want to pay shipping on them.

I have a chick-n-hutch. Its always been kept on my screened in front porch and I only use it to brood chicks in. I love it for that purpose.

I think you really need to slap a coat of sealer or paint on them, to have them hold up to the elements. If they only have felt for the roof, I'd put something more on the roof, too. Then they should hold up much better in wet weather.

Back
Top Bottom