Warm and yummy treats for cold little chickens

jettgirl24

Songster
9 Years
Feb 21, 2010
Duvall, WA
We got a blast of winter weather here in the northwest on Monday and I felt bad for my poor cold chickies so I took to the kitchen to make them something warm and tasty. Just thought I'd share my recipe since they devoured it like crazed little monsters
smile.png

2 or 3 cups of layer crumble or pellets (I used pellets cuz thats what I had)
1 cup of scratch or cracked corn
a handful of grit
2 or 3 tbsp Molasses
Boiling water

Pour layer feed, scratch, and grit in a large bowl, then drizzle molasses over the top. When water comes to a boil pour it over the dry ingredients. You will need enough water to just cover the dry ingredients. Stir until the ingredients are combined and the micture becomes a mash. Let it cool down until it's still warm but not so hot that it will burn. Serve to your cold little chickies on a cold day!

***I made this with pellets which probably expand more than crumble so if you're using crumble I would add the water slowly and stir to see how much you actually need.

Does anyone else have favorite cold weather recipes they like to make for their flock?

My girls get warm oatmeal every morning mixed with plain yogurt <- about 1 Tbsp yogurt per hen.

If they are laying well I also mix in an egg or two.

Top with raisins & they are in Chicken Heaven

Last edited:
4 cups of boiling water
mix in 1 1/3 cups of rolled oats.
Let it sit for minutes then mix in 3 heaping cups of that dust that accumulates in the bottom of the pellet feed bag.

Let it cool to a pleasantly warm temperature.
Top it up with any diner leftovers, veggie trimmings from last nights supper...

They dive in and devour it.
I think they like the warmth but also the softer texture compared to their dried pellets and crumbles.

I too have been giving ours oatmeal. I haven't mixed anything else in it though. I have yogurt I had planned on giving them, I guess I could add it to the oatmeal like others here have done. My kids started asking for the yogurt, I'm glad I bought a big container of it, lol. I'll have to buy some more, it is yummy, haha.
big_smile.png

Mine get warm corn. I buy the big frozen bags and heat it up in the microwave they love it. I tried oatmeal once when they were a little younger (about 3 months old) and they looked at me like I was crazy. They wouldn't touch it.

I have 6 hens. How many bowls of oatmeal would I make? I mean, can I use one big bowl or is it better to have 2 for the smaller hens?
I dont want the big ones to get it all. Will they eat it all or stop when they are full?

theyll stop when full, but youd be surprised how much they eat! if you use the little instant oats packs, about one per chicken, I have to use two bowls, my two BRs get fiesty with my 2 RIRs so I use two bowls (or "the big plate") that way the smaller girls can have some while its still warm! Id say if your girls can all eat from one big bowl without scrappin' then give them that, if they fight, give em seperate bowls....Even with two bowls 4ft apart or so my dominant hen sometimes runs back and forth squaking at anyone trying to eat!
wee.gif
but they wont put up with it for long before diving in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom