Warm Hello from a Cold Minnesota

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by joyfulkeeper, Dec 1, 2013.

1. joyfulkeeper

joyfulkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2013
    South Central Minnesota
    I have been learning from you all since March when we were given 11 cockerels that were sent as heating blankets with a friends duck order. They were dropped off to us at about 1 week old and we had fun raising them until their hormones kicked in and now we are enjoying them in yummy soup.

We did, however, fall in love with chickens so we quickly put in our own order to start a flock we could keep for eggs. We ordered 10 Black Australorps (1 cockerel) and 5 Buff Orpingtons and my husband really wanted ducks so 4 Khaki Campbells (1 drake). We thought we loved the chicks, but oh my goodness did we fall in love with the ducklings despite the incredible mess they make in the brooder. During this time of raising all the littles, I was constantly reading threads and articles on here getting all the info we needed for the care and housing of our new flock. Thank you all so very much.

Just a couple weeks after moving the ducks outside, we lost our drake, Merlin. He was found in the duck house (converted dog house) and looked like he was sleeping, but he was gone. [​IMG] Merlin was my youngest son's favorite so he was heartbroken. Of course, he had to be replaced so started our "chicken math" as I've seen y'all call it. We loved the ducks so much, and the duck eggs, that we ordered 10... 1 Khaki drake (Merlin Jr. or MJ as he is called now), 5 white layer (1 drake) and 4 Rouens (those were st. run, but it turned out we have 1 drake and 3 ducks [​IMG].

My latest searches have been on keeping our flock healthy and happy during our frigid winters. Again, I have learned so much already from everyone on here. Thanks! Keep up the good work. [​IMG]

Valerie

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

3. joyfulkeeper

Dec 1, 2013
    South Central Minnesota
    Thanks for the welcome.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hi, Valerie, welcome to BYC. Your chicken/duck addiction is right on schedule. Good luck with your birds.

5. joyfulkeeper

Dec 1, 2013
    South Central Minnesota
    Thanks roostersandhens and sourland. It has been fun posting and replying today instead of just reading. Yes, our family is addicted to ducks and chickens. It has been a very entertaining adventure so far.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    if you go to "OTHER Backyard Poultry" in the forums you will find threads pertaining to ducks- a great place for duck specific questions. Welcome to the flock [​IMG]

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

8. joyfulkeeper

Dec 1, 2013
    South Central Minnesota
    Thanks for the welcome DD and Elizabeth. I have been exploring all the forums... reading well into the wee hours of the night... so much fun info and stories.

9. SquareInchFarm

SquareInchFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Minnesota
    welcome and good luck with your chickens =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by