Warm oatmeal got lukewarm reception

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
Ok, so I read all the threads about how all ya'lls chickens love oatmeal, so I went to the grocery store yesterday and bought some, along with some frozen blueberries. I cooked a big batch of it at lunchtime today, added blueberries, a little of their crumbles, and some Rooster Booster ... the dog loved it!

The chickens picked at it here and there but were unimpressed. Back to the drawing board!

Mine didn't know what to do with it at first either, they figured it out pretty quickly after I sprinkled some of their scratch on top of it though.
wink.png

Don't be discouraged.
My girls could not get enough of this treat all Summer.
I mixed in plain yogurt and they dived headfirst into the bowl & did not come up for air until it was gone.

Now that it is freezing cold I figured they'd be thrilled with their fave treat warm from the microwave.....
NOT!

They eat about half the bowl and let the rest freeze.
I have even "salted" the bowl with Chicken Crack (= raisins), and they gobble the raisins off the top then pick at the oatmeal.

OH GOSH!!! Mind attacked it!....

I got 3 loaves of day old bread, mixed milk into it until it was soggy and then I added oatmeal to it...nothing more, I let it get to the texture of thick oatmeal,....and took it out to them warm.....I thought I was being attacked!!!!

I add a bit of Agave nectar in mine. . .sometimes fruit, depending on what I have around the house, but they love it.

Okay, this is my first time posting a question. I have been watching but not writing!
smile.png
I have 5 chicks, four weeks old and one broody who is caring for them. Is it okay to give them other things besides chick starter? I was thinking of things like oatmeal (cooked) and fruit just on occasion not every day.
Thanks.

Sjisty...I have to push my dogs away from whatever treats I give my birds...lol. Mine always pick out the "good stuff" I mix in the oatmeal before eating the oatmeal itself. But I leave it in their coop, and it's gone by the end of the day.

Simpson - as long as they have grit available, they're old enough to try a little scraps. Mine didn't like fruit when they were little, and I didn't try oatmeal until they were older. But they loved chopped up boiled egg (many scramble eggs), and leftover cooked corn. Most suggest just trying one snack at a time to make sure it agrees with their systems...

mine love oatmeal, I just make sure it isn't too hot, also I add some canola oil (to boost omega 3) and any scraps, fruit or whatever is around. I give my chicks just about anything I have leftover, I just watch the salt and sugar content, they love pretty much everything (leftover pizza and mac & cheese were big hits) sometimes it takes a while for them to catch on of they have only had regualr chicken food but once they figure out treats it can be hard to walk when surrounded by 60 hungry chickens all wanting the goodies.

Add leftover meat drippings to the warm oatmeal. That is a real winner here. But then, mine love warm oatmeal with any protein added. Plain is good but mine now look for the treats first...pick them out and then eat the oatmeal.

Off topic....interestingly, they all refused bananas the other day for the first time ever. So I'll wait for spring before feeding those again.

Mine don't care for it either but they love cooked spagetti noodles. So, once they loved that I started adding abit of oatmeal and other items to the spagetti in small amounts to get them used to it a bit. The also like warmed up frozen corn......... especially this time of year.

The lady with the 4 dogs and 4 city chickens

Back
Top Bottom