Warm Temps, more mating, effects on Laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HollyDuckFarmer, Jan 13, 2013.

1. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Just wondering about how the weather is effecting all of the above? I noticed next to no eggs when the weather was super cold, then had a few days where half the flock was laying! So is the weather confusing the Ladies? And then there's the drakes... Is the warmer weather making them get more aggressive with the mating? What do you experts think?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Our flock of runners and buffs are still on vacation from laying. We introduced a drake in September, and shortly after that, everyone stopped laying. Hmmm. This is our first drake, so I am learning as we go.

Speaking of drakes, the past week or so Bean has finally begun to respond to the intense flirting from some of the ducks, especially Romy. Both Bean and Romy are buffs.

Several runners are acting more romantic, or sending out notices that they have found or are looking for nesting spots. So, it's stirring, and ours started before the mild weather.

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    The mating and egg laying should increase when the weather starts to get warmer. The ducks are probably just stiff from the cold. It'll start up again, don't worry.

4. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Amiga what do you mean by "looking for nesting spots." What should I be looking for when it comes to that. I just have one duck and one drake, both the same breed.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, I don't write duck noises very well, but the ducks wander around the garden, poking their heads near brushy areas, lean in, and call into the area, a staccato a a a a a a a a a a a, repeated over and over again.

When they REALLY like a spot, they will walk in and start shoving mulch back with their feet, turning around and around, and might even plunk themselves down, tail up, as they continue the a a a a a a a a a a a call.

Gosh, I love these animals.
    [​IMG]

6. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Aw, how adorable! Ducks really are so cool. I may be helping run a backyard chicken class at one of our feed stores this Spring and I want to give a brief stint on ducks too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  7. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Trust me, you'll know when they're looking. Ah, funny birds.

8. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Ohhhhh, so that is why she has been looking like that. She is rooting around and nosing EVERYWHERE. I just thought she was foraging (which she could be too.) But she calls and honks, it is way cute. She has the little squeaky ducky sound she makes quietly while she roots and then every now and then it gets loud.
    Thanks for the reply!

9. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Just to update, winter returned here... And no more eggs.

10. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    They will probably hold off until Spring ...I'm getting antsy, I got my girls in July and they are just now about prime laying age...so they are waiting...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by