1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Warm water in their splash pool?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by priss, Dec 16, 2009.

1. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    It's gettin pretty cold here. Not like America cold but for England, it was cooold today (like maybe going down to minus three tonight). I had to break the ice on their paddlin pool. Sooo I was thinkin, they have a big water bowl they like to sploosh in, would it be nice for them to have warm water in there? Like a little call duck spa? Or would that be no good for them. Would it make them colder when they get out? And they're only little, can someone reassure me they'll be okay in their hut tonight? I've put in lots of sawdust and straw but they jus trample it all down.
    I know I'm a pillock but I worry worry worry. I love them tooooo much and they so smaallllll. I'm scared to bring them into the house in case they freeze when they go out after cos they get all soft after bein inside with heatin.
    [​IMG]
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

The only reason i used warm water in my ducks' pool was to thaw the surface. Yesterday the pool was slushy and all 8 of them were happily splashing around in it.
    They'll be fine as long as you crack the surface of the water.

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    my goofballs are spoiled and live inside and will complain complain complain if i don't make their bath lukewarm. If i turn the shower on cold, they swim away from it angrily aquacking at me. lol

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:minus 3 defrees centigrade is nothing. UK is on the metric system right?

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I had to pull an iceberg out of my duck's pool yesterday. Then I filled it with cold water from the hose. They played in it all day [​IMG]

6. Le Canard de Barbarie

Le Canard de Barbarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Quote:Same here....

I use a 15 gallon rubber tub.

[​IMG]

7. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Thaaank yooo guys. Okay I'll stick them to the cold water. I broke all the ice and poured in hot water to get rid of any nasty pointy shards. Thanks for bein so patient at my daft questions. It's not freezing today and nice and sunny so I'm gonna take my study outside and work with them. I miss them so much in the evening when they all locked up in bed. I swear, if my husband ever leaves me, I'm buying three of Netties finest, smallest duck diapers and they are movin into my house! Then it'll be lukewarm water all the way loool.
    Nettie, your little Victor and Ming Mei are sooo funny. They don't like a cold shower lool, well ya know what? Neither do I!! Sounds sensible to me!!

8. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    In MA it's been below freezing for the last several days. That is the only time I will give the ducks warm water in their tubs basically because I want them to have enough time to dunk/swim/preen more than once in a day before it freezes. If the temperature is at freezing or above I just use cold water. They don't seem to mind whether it's cold or warm as long as it's liquid and not solid [​IMG] .

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  9. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    My ducks are grown up, but we're having a BLIZZARD here and half of them spent the day in the creek! Brrrrrrr....COLD!

10. judyc

judyc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    We had a water pipe burst yesterday. The ducks were in HEAVEN!

It snowed all day today. We were out stretching fence.

The chickens and turkeys didn't want to come out, but the BEI just paddled right out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by