Warmer chicks with my ducklings

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MerryMeridional, Mar 21, 2019.

1. MerryMeridional

MerryMeridional Songster

Jan 17, 2019
    Hello, does anyone know about the warmer chicks that Ideal Poultry packs with their small orders? I assume they are male. Here's some pictures. I'd really like to rehome them before considering culling them. I would consider keeping a hen(s?) for egg production but I really do not have room for any roosters or male birds at this time. I ordered 5 Indian Runner ducklings and they came with 4 warmer chicks.

Attached Files:

TashaFrancois likes this.
  2. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    I wouldn't suggest keeping just one hen, especially not around male ducks.
    You could always call or email the hatchery and ask.

MerryMeridional likes this.
  3. MerryMeridional

MerryMeridional Songster

Jan 17, 2019
    All my ducks are female.

I was assuming they all were of the same sex (so would keep either all or nothing) but you know what they say about assuming. I will call now! Good idea.

4. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    They are most likely Production Reds or New Hampshire Reds. "Packing Peanuts" are almost always male, but, you can post pics of their combs at 6 weeks and see!

MerryMeridional likes this.
  5. MerryMeridional

MerryMeridional Songster

Jan 17, 2019
    Is a production red a Rhode Island red?

I called and spoke to an Ideal Poultry rep. I don't think they keep track of what type they pack in as warmers, but she said they are always male and based on my verbal description, either a Buff Orpington or a Rhode Island Red.

Thoughts? Can you tell at this stage?

Thanks in advance.

Crazy for Chickens! likes this.
  6. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Production Reds are a different breed than Rhode Island Reds. They lay about the same, but are lighter in color. It's pretty much impossible to tell between the two breeds at this age. Sometimes you will never know, because hatchery RIRs tend to be a lot lighter in color that they should be.....:-/ Pics at 6 weeks could or could not help tell between the two, but it will help tell the gender.

EggWalrus and MerryMeridional like this.
  7. MerryMeridional

MerryMeridional Songster

Jan 17, 2019
    Thanks for the help everyone. This afternoon I was able to rehome these babies with a lady with a flock who will treat them as pets.

8. TashaFrancois

TashaFrancois Songster

Jun 3, 2018
    Kansas City, MO
    They are always sexlink males. I sold mine on Craigslist list as what they were for $3 each. 3 went to individuals who wanted their first roo and 2 to a lady who wanted them as house pets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: