1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

warmest regards from the land of lava

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by hale moa, Apr 20, 2008.

1. hale moa

hale moa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    big island hawaii
    hello from the slopes of kilauea volcano. i havent had chickens in about 50 years so needless to say i am a bit rusty and will probably be seeking help.... like when do i stop worrying about the mongoose? ( how old do the girls need to be before they are no longer a problem?) i have 3/10 week old aracaunas 3/10 week old barred rocks the most friendly, spoiled hens in the universe, and now 3 /7 week old banty cochin frizzles that didnt, that i just posted in the "what are we" section to try to decide if somehow i scored 3 girls?? mahalo in advance for all the great advise...[​IMG]

2. bionic_chicken

bionic_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    I have zero advice since I'm just getting my seven babies tomorrow, BUT I'm really jealous of your location right now...:thun

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Aloha! Welcome to BYC!

I have no clue as to what to say about a mongoose!

4. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Welcome! I'm sure everything will fall back into place and all your past experience will come back soon. As far as the mongoose (mongeese?), aren't they similar to weasles or ferrets? If so, I don' t know that your chickies will be safe at any age, so you would want to take precautions in building the pen to help protect your girls. Good luck!
    Liz

5. hale moa

hale moa Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    big island hawaii
    yes i believe mongoose are similar family the only good thing is they are only out during the day so at least i wont wake up to any problems! they brought them over to eat the rats, which are only out at nite.. thus we have mongoose(geese)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by