warming a rooster up ideas, ASAP please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CochinBrahmaLover, Jan 28, 2012.

1. so i have an OEGB rooster mix, well hes hard feathered as you know so hes been shivering. Any ideas how to keep him warm? its like -50 out so help NOW would help.

2. Come on!!!! i need them tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Well...could you bring him into the house? Just checking.

If not, make sure you wrap the coop in blankets if there are any gaps, or open windows. You can put gallon water bottles of hot water in there- they'll act as heaters. Put in lots of straw. If he's by himself- by all means, bring him in the house! Some people may say otherwise, but by himself he will get very cold. If he has a big comb put vaseline on it to prevent frostbite.

4. i need to put vaseline he does have some frost bite and he is in the house sitting by me with a chicken diaper on [​IMG]

in -50 hot water will freeze like istant, ive put cold water in their dish and went back out a couple min later and the top had frozen..
    no hes not by himself he has 4 hens, we took 4 to the shelter since we didnt need/want them (were getting chicks soon so we need space) and one was preventing one hen from roosting and would fly up ON a hen EXACTLY where she was at and knock the hen down to sit by the roo *sigh* he does good in the house since hes lived in it before, he was beat up by some other roos and almost died so he lived in here for a while. we have some extra hay but its frozen :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by