1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Warming chicks sent in mail order.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlips, Mar 10, 2007.

1. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    What do most folks do with the warming chicks sent as extras in their mail orders? I was told that they use males and I sure don't need 8 little roosters down the road. I've tried giving them away and even offered them free to a local feed store, but no one wants them.

2. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    I'm gonna eat mine! I will keep some as roosters, if I have a pair. The rest will be dinner!

3. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Most people end up eating the cockerels for warmth. If you can't bear to do the dirty deed yourself, you may be able to get a farmer or other chicken raiser to do it for you for a cost. You might be able to pay him/her with one of the chickens! Otherwise, it's not very hard to do yourself, and if you aren't squeemish you can save yourself the trouble (and sometimes money) of having someone else do it for you. Chances are too, that once culled, you wont have any trouble finding homes, err, plates for your extras!

4. chickenlips

chickenlips Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    I took my 8 little extra warming chicks to work and gave them to co-workers, along with all the supplies and food they'd need for a couple of days. Who could say no to those little fluff balls! The babies are doing great in their new homes and the husband of one of my co-workers has become an instant hovering Mr. Mom to his bunch. How great is that?!!!

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Dec 26, 2006
    California - SF East Bay
    Quote:Hahaha I had to read that a few times [​IMG] I was sitting here saying to myself, "How much warmth could eating a baby chick provide?" [​IMG]

I sold my roos on craigslist. If I couldn't sell them I would have given them away on craigslist. If that didn't work or wasn't available and I couldn't find anybody else to take them I may try what a neighbor did: She took her old hens (that were no longer laying) to the animal museum to use as feeders for their hawks, eagles, foxes, etc. on display.

6. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Nifty chicken, that's a neat idea... circle of life and whatnot. Don't think we have a place like that 'round here, though. [​IMG]

7. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Well, I can't believe MM did it, but I now have 16 extra cockerels (sent for warmth).
    What age will they be ready for the dinner table (they are Red Sex Link Males)?
    Will they be crowing before that? I live in town and that could become a big problem?

Andy....[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  8. Marc33

Marc33 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2007
    Andy, I got the same breed of males from them and they told me that at about 10-12 weeks they will make good fryers and weigh around 5lb dressed, the way they eat i was beginning to think they were cornish rocks! I've had mine 3 weeks and they are around 1 lb now. Not sure on the crowing.

9. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Holy Cow!!!! Three weeks old and already a pound. I am in big trouble. Was hoping I had 6-8 weeks before I had to have my coop ready. Better get busy, real fast...lol.
    I guess it won't be any trouble identifying them from the Buff Orpington pullets. Right now they look identical.

Andy

BTW...The 16 extra really surprised me because I only ordered 32 total. My brooder may get a little crowded...but the more the merrier!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by