Warming light: leave on at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by andylegate, Mar 7, 2014.

1. andylegate

andylegate Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Brought home 6 Silver Lace Wyandotte chicks from Tractor Supply today. I have them in their Brooder, but being a first timer at this, my wife asked me:

"Do we leave the warming light on all night?"

I of course have no idea. I would think in order to keep them warm, the light has to stay on. But is that good for the chicks to have light 24/7?

2. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Yes, leave the light on. At least, I do.

If it really bothers you, you can have a bright (white) light during the day and a red one for night. I usually just use a red light all the time. Plus, if they can sleep during the day with the light on, why can't they sleep at night with it on?

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Yes, you need to have a heat source 24 hours a day for young chicks. Many people use an infra red brooder bulb to give the chicks a more natural day-night cycle, but other people use the white bulbs. Good Learning Center article on raising chicks that covers the brooder bulbs and temperature etc.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-your-baby-chicks

4. andylegate

andylegate Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Okay, thanks. The light will not bother us, all though the article linked seems to indicate that using a white light will keep them restless.

The lamp I have is using an actual "brooder" bulb, but it's white light (I looked for the red at Lowes, they didn't have it, and Tractor Supply didn't have any bulbs).

Not exactly sure how old these guys are at this time, as we have no experience, but they do seem a bit older than 2 weeks. here's a picture:

[​IMG]

5. Araucana16

Araucana16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Gorgeous chicks! If you notice they aren't sleeping, you can always get reptile lights. I never buy "brooder" lights, since I have reptile lights on hand year around; much more convenient (at least for me) and works for me just as well.

Lucky you. I have two bearded dragons in my room and the light is on 24/7. Drives me crazy sometimes! [​IMG]

6. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Hello[​IMG] and [​IMG]. Pretty chicks. I believe they are less than 2 weeks. My guess would be 1 week at the very most but I'm no expert:)

7. Wishapup

Wishapup Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Canada
    I've always used red light, but keeping with white should be fine! I doubt you'll have any problems! Many people have used it for their chicks without issue.

If you should notice any pecking behavior or other such issues, you could consider the light colour factor, but since you haven't noticed any strange behavior you don't need to be concerned about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by