Warmth for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by xjonesy, Mar 27, 2009.

1. xjonesy

xjonesy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    Utah
    My chicks are almost 3 weeks old. Based on what I've read, they should be kept warm around 80-85 degrees at this point. I have them in my garage (in Utah) where it's been quite cold recently. The light bulb is pointed into a corner of the box, but they don't spend much time directly under the light...they'll sleep a bit around the edge of the light, but not under it.

It's so cold right now that I've been worried I may not be keeping them warm enough. Are chicks smart enough to keep themselves warm enough, or do I have to force them to stay warm at 80-85 degrees? What is the risk to chicks this young if they're not kept warm enough?

Thanks

2. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    i was wondering the same. i've raised baby squirrels that will move to or away from the heat pad as needed.

3. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    Sounds to me as if your arrangement is working. I would be worried only if they are piling up under the light in a bid to stay warm.

Chickens will instinctively try to find the temperature they need to stay comfortable.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The danger to chicks that are kept too warm or too cold is that they will not thrive and could easily die. Sounds like what you are doing is working just fine.

5. xjonesy

xjonesy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    Utah
    Thanks for the feedback. That's what I kept telling my wife -- the chicks have to be fine. But she wanted to stick by "the book" and keep them right at 85 no matter what. [​IMG] I like to "wing it".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by