Warmth in winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SANDSZOO, Feb 6, 2011.

1. SANDSZOO

SANDSZOO Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Hello, I am new to the site. I am in Michigan. Should my birds have a lamp for light a heat during the winter?
    Thank you
    Stacey

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Are they young birds? Fully feathered adult birds can endure a LOT of cold without heat. The main thing is no drafts and low humidity. Proper ventilation is the key. The dryer the coop, the better. My hens live in cold, snowy Iowa winters without heat. They have an unheated, uninsulated coop.

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I agree with ARose. I am up in BC, Canada with harsh winters and no heat in my coop. I do have a light, but only because it gets dark at 3pm. [​IMG] I guess it gives off a bit of heat, but... not much.

4. SANDSZOO

Oct 1, 2010
    Hello, My birds are all grown ups. Thank you for your help.

Stacey

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:The only other question that's important is what temperature are they used to? For example, if you buy birds from someplace with mild winters and ship them into a Michigan winter, that's a real shock. But adult birds that have been acclimated to the climate should be able to manage fine with a dry, draft free but adequately ventilated shelter.

6. NFlaGator

NFlaGator Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2011
    So this may be a stupid question, but at what age is a chicken considered fully feathered (or an adult), does it matter what breed?

7. SANDSZOO

Oct 1, 2010
    Hello,
    I was told they are "Easter egg chickens", they do lay greenish eggs. They appear to do OK in the winter, I was curious if light was important.
    Thank you for your help.
    Stacey

8. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    I suppose it is down to the comfort of the birds. They aren't comfortable below freezing, but the temp of the coop can be higher than the outside temps. Also, consider if you want your birds to continue laying like spring. If so, you would want their light and temperatures to be close to spring time. If you don't care if your birds follow their natural annual cycle, then keeping them above freezing is sufficient. Checking for black spots on their combs is also a good idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by