Warning about shavings in the brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CalicoFarm, Apr 6, 2009.

1. CalicoFarm

CalicoFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    North East Alabama
    I just wanted to warn everyone. I just had a week old dutch bantam get a shaving stuck in his mouth. Luckly, I have them in the living room. I heard him chirping loudly and looked to see his mouth open and shaking his head. I had to get the tweezers to pull it out. Most of the shavings are about an inch square, he found the only tiny, rolled up one, lol.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Thanks for the warning! Glad you were there to help out.

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    It happens some times. Expecially for chicks that are very young. But I wouldnt suggest not using shavings as its a good subtrate to use for any age of chickens. From chicks to adults. Just have to be sure that the chick is a few days old before you put them on any. You could put news paper or paper towels over the shavings for the first few days.

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

I found that our little ones tried to either eat them or play with them. Switched to paper towels for a couple of weeks. Expensive but worth it..

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I always keep chicks up to 10 days on paper towel,the smaller the chick the longer on the toweling, keeps the water cleaner too.

6. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks , you just answered my next question ....! [​IMG]
    My chicks are a week old...gonna go out and see how they like yogurt this morning...!

7. 3peeps

3peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2007
    I use my husband's old t-shirts, also. I fold them in half, use the top until it's dirty, then shake it off and flip it over. Use your judgment. If it's really soiled, throw it out. I don't wash mine...I don't want to. We put newspaper underneath that, and I've used paper towels.
    '
    I contemplated using thrifted cut up sheets next time, but you'd have to be careful that they don't pull at any strings or threads. My husband suggested tucking the edges under so all they had access to was folds.

They like soft cloth to sleep on, and I think it provides decent traction so they don't get leg problems supposedly associated with plain newspaper.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I've read were someone uses old socks.

9. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Oooh old socks! I have a couple of bags of socks that have lost their mates and you know, that might be a good use for them.

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    just make sure there are no strings,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by