WARNING! do not leave 1 day old chicks by water. My babies drowned!

maf2008

Songster
12 Years
Feb 19, 2009
I gently took out my 18 fuzzy butts and showed them food and a dish of water.. I waited. Most of them tood a drink

I left the babies a few hours and came back... all but one is wet and 2 are drowned... one is dying

I knew to put rocks in the dish. but they all looked like they are drinking. When can I give my chickies water safely?

My bator is empty and I am sad......
sad.png

When they are that small I use a shallow lid, like a pickle jar lid. I refill it when it gets dry and I have never had a baby drown. Yes, it is alot of back and forth, but so worth it.

The only thing you can do is try a waterer with a narrow trough, put marbles or rocks in the trough and maybe raise it a little so it sits on something and is chest high for them.

I am so sorry you lost the babies.

I find that I am continually promoting Cutlers, but I bought waterers there that have a non-drowning base. White bottle with a red base. These are great for the babies!!!

SO SAD!
sad.png

I did this...newbie, so hopefully it works...I'd be pretty heart broken if they drowned!

CIMG6571.jpg

I would leave the rocks in there until they are full grown (what can it hurt?) Maybe someone with experience will pipe in on that one???

I used marbles in mine but I took them out from my standards at less then a week old. My bantams I kept them in until today (2 weeks old). I will keep them in with my silkies until I feel it is safe for them.

I WANT A LOCAL TSC!!!! My closest one is 2.5 hours away!!! We have NO GOOD farm/feed type stores on Long Island!!!! You can't find food grade DE anywhere either!!!

We are deprived here!

Back
Top Bottom