1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WARNING! do not leave 1 day old chicks by water. My babies drowned!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by maf2008, Apr 21, 2009.

1. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    I gently took out my 18 fuzzy butts and showed them food and a dish of water.. I waited. Most of them tood a drink

I left the babies a few hours and came back... all but one is wet and 2 are drowned... one is dying

I knew to put rocks in the dish. but they all looked like they are drinking. When can I give my chickies water safely?

My bator is empty and I am sad......[​IMG]

2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I'm so sorry! That's heartbreaking!

Try a Little Giant 1 gal waterer with rocks in the trough. They can't get in the dish at all then.

3. dizzychicken

dizzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    When they are that small I use a shallow lid, like a pickle jar lid. I refill it when it gets dry and I have never had a baby drown. Yes, it is alot of back and forth, but so worth it.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The only thing you can do is try a waterer with a narrow trough, put marbles or rocks in the trough and maybe raise it a little so it sits on something and is chest high for them.

I am so sorry you lost the babies.

5. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    I find that I am continually promoting Cutlers, but I bought waterers there that have a non-drowning base. White bottle with a red base. These are great for the babies!!!

6. m2wandc

m2wandc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    SO SAD! [​IMG]

I did this...newbie, so hopefully it works...I'd be pretty heart broken if they drowned!

[​IMG]

I would leave the rocks in there until they are full grown (what can it hurt?) Maybe someone with experience will pipe in on that one???

7. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    I used marbles in mine but I took them out from my standards at less then a week old. My bantams I kept them in until today (2 weeks old). I will keep them in with my silkies until I feel it is safe for them.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I use the non-drowning base, the local TSC has them too.

9. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    I WANT A LOCAL TSC!!!! My closest one is 2.5 hours away!!! We have NO GOOD farm/feed type stores on Long Island!!!! You can't find food grade DE anywhere either!!!

We are deprived here!

10. mangus580

mangus580 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2009
    Western NY
    Quote:do you have a picture of which one it is? we have the red one pictured above....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by