Warning...dumb question ahead.

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by The Sheriff, Oct 25, 2011.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Will male emus go broody without a female? I read that they go broody after their mate starts laying. If emu eggs start appearing in a nest would that cause them to go broody? I know, it's dumb, but you were warned. [​IMG]

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Cuz inquiring minds wanna know. [​IMG]

3. foulman007

foulman007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2010
    Columbia SC
    I have 2 males and 1 female as my breeders. The alpha was of course the breeder and the beta never bred but went broody as soon as a single egg was present. The alpha male only became broody after I left 6 eggs for them to hatch. They fought for control of the nest . sitting next to one another swiping eggs back and forth.

4. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    How sweet Foulman! I just love my two boys. They are the funniest and sweetest things ever. This morning I was trying to remove some zipties from a fence. I was wearing a hoodies. One had his head in my pocket pulling down trying to get his head out. The other one was behind me with the tie to my hood pulling on it. I though I was probably going to be choked to death but I would have died laughing. Big old sweet clowns. Thanks for info. I may take a shot at putting some eggs in front of them when they get older. They were just seven months old yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by