Warning, Foster Farms

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Suzierd, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
  2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Ooops!! The bigger problem I see in this is - 'resistant antibiotic strains' - does this mean that Foster regularly treats it's chooks with antibiotics? If so, I think that's grounds enough not to buy it! Sue

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Those strains exist due to the overuse of antibiotics by EVERYONE over generations.
    Reality is CHICKEN IS NASTY and needs to be handled carefully and thoroughly cooked to be safe

Don't blame the farmer because of the CUSTOMERS mishandling the product

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    It also comes from continued, low level use by some producers. True, some customers do not practice good sanitation/hygiene with their food, but it is a multi-factorial problem, Sue

5. Suzierd

Suzierd Overrun With Chickens

Aug 8, 2011
    Oregon
    Well I heard on the news the other day (could be more now) over three hundred people are sick! I don't think all those people are under cooking their chicken all of a sudden. It's more then just people mishandling the chicken.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  7. MamaDoodle

MamaDoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Tennessee
    My Coop
    Hmm... the USDA is threatening to shut down some of their facilities due to a contamination problem, however, the owner says they have always met and acceded the standards. Is someone lying or are there unexpectedly low standards?

While I agree it's unlikely 300 people all suddenly got sick from undercooking, considering how many people there are, and how many constantly eat chicken, it's possible... However, due to not all farms being under scrutiny, it could just be those few being idiots rather than the whole company, and this is what I'd bet on.

The article states they have until Thursday, so can we expect an update soon?

8. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The USDA has already said the chicken is "Safe, with PROPER HANDLING AND COOKING"

Quote:

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Commercial birds are fed antibiotics routinely ALL THE TIME. Grocery store chicken is usually contaminated with ??? bacteria, often drug resistant varieties, becauuse of current management and slaughter practices. SAFE handling of puoltry in the kitchen is very important; can't cut corners there! That's why I grow my own birds! Mary

10. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Sounds like more media hype to get everyone worked up into a frenzy. Winter is almost here, so the mosquitos will die and now we need something to replace the west nile frenzy.(hey, whatever happened to that swine flu that was going to kill us all a couple years ago???) Seriously, the cdc states that over 100,000 people get sick every year from salmonella. What is the big deal with these 300 cases???? My guess is that those 300 were upper middle class types who now want answers so the rest of us get to hear about it. (most of the cases in this "outbreak" were in California.)
    I don't know a lot about salmonella, The only anecdotes that I really remember are : wash your hands after handling raw chicken, cook the crap out of it, and don't keep baby turtles as pets. All rules which I have broken at one time or another.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by