*WARNING GRAHIC PICTURES* Cat, mouse and coon. YOU ARE WARNED

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by silkiechicken, Nov 13, 2007.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I just found these again, two different occasions but one good cat. I've had her around for about 14 years, she showed up as a stray and never left.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I got another coon.. this guy was missing a tail though. That was odd... but he was huge for this area.

[​IMG]

2. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Must be one high powered BB gun lol. How close were ya? My DH shoots those all the time around here.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Point blank. I trap first and dispatch with a good CNS shot. I wish I had more power though.

Edit: I wish I knew how to tan hides. They are so think and beautiful. I just wish they didn't keep trying to get into my coops... and I wish that the developments didn't give them trash cans to breed out of and pavement where they can't live.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  4. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    good job!!!! gorgeous cat.

5. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I wonder if someone had him trapped and chopped his tail off then let him go? strange. Cool cat hes going straight for the mouse liver [​IMG]

6. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    kewl coon, and nice cat

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Silkie - do you have any local trappers or furtakers in your area. Sometimes you can search online or in your local phone book. They pay good money for those pelts. We get more for coon than fox around here. It's best to have someone lined up tho, so the pelt is fresh for them to handle. Even some taxidermist will take them for practice and displays. Something to consider.

Jody

8. Miltonchix

Miltonchix Taking a Break

Jul 14, 2007
    Milton, Florida
    I wish I knew how to tan hides. .

Theres a place not far from you in Marysville (nothend just off the interstate) that does good work with hides. Didn't used to be at all expensive either. I had a deer hide tanned there for $20. That was about 15 years ago though.​

9. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:Maybe he was under someones car hood. My old cat lost his tail that way.

10. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    I have a small combination lock on my nest box and run door. Works great, the raccoons can't get in and I don't have to shoot anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by