Warning-graphic Pics-crop Surgery!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by the Old Rebel, Nov 10, 2009.

1. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    Howdy BYC'ers!!

Thanks to some wonderful folks here on BYC, my Little White Annie will live to see another day!!!! I cannot begin to tell you how HAPPY that makes me!!!!

By God's grace, I had just read where Sammi posted on someone's thread about not feeding pulled grasses and weeds to your chickens. So I pm'd Sammi to ask why. I'd been feeding pulled grasses and weeds for 10 years. I probably lost a bird or two to impacted crops too without knowing what was wrong. Sammi told me of the dangers of pulled grass which included impacted crop. A couple of days later I began to suspect my Little White Annie had one.

I tried oiling and massaging, but to no avail. I tried several times to get her to throw it up. No luck. So last night, Chickensioux came over and performed surgery on Little White Annie. My DH assisted. They made a terrific team!! I held her legs, took pictures, and watched. I was in AWE!!!

Here are some pictures.

This is the first cut into the crop and the beginnings of what we would find in there.
    [​IMG]http:

I got so engrossed in what we were doing, I FORGOT to take any pictures of the actual emptying process!! I can't BELIEVE I did that! This is just starting to sew her back up.
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/2112_11-09-09_surgery_on_little_white_annie_-_2.jpg

This is the finished job.
    [​IMG]

This is what was in there. We kept thinking we had gotten it all. We'd flush with saline solution. And there would be more. We finally got to where we wondered if it would EVER stop!!! But it FINALLY did.
    [​IMG]

Here is Annie in recovery.
    [​IMG]

The whole process took about 2 hours. We had studied several threads on this. We would have lost my Annie if Chickensioux hadn't been brave enough to give this a try. I can NEVER EVER in a MILLION YEARS thank you enough, my friend, Chickensioux!!!

Annie is in a cage right here beside me. She has been eating small pieces of bread soaked in milk off and on all day. Her eyes are bright. She is perky. She has pooped!!!! Wheee!!!!!!! I never thought I could get sooooo excited about POOP!!!

I've had soooooo many tragic losses this year. I just couldn't handle another one. Thank you, Sammi, for your timely info. Thank you all who have posted pictures and info about this kind of surgery. Thank you that, by sharing your experiences, you gave us the courage to try. THANKS again Chickensioux and your wonderful DH who shared you with us last night. And thank you, God, for saving my Little White Annie!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] - Chickensioux

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I am in Awe! You should be so proud of yourself! Absolutly amazing.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I really never thought it would be so easy. I was so glad it came out as well as it did. Annie was so brave and stoic. I love you Old Rebel and would do anything for you. Thanks to all the great folks on BYC that gave us the info we needed. Hopefully she will continue to thrive and other folks can learn from this thread as well. Hugs to all!!!

4. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    I am sort of morbidly curious about this - did you do this little surgery while she was awake, without some sort of numbing agent?
    I honestly believe I could never do this myself, but I am so glad for you that someone in your house could.

Bravo to them! And I'm glad she is doing well.

5. the Old Rebel

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    No, we didn't use any kind of numbing agent. Every post we read about this said we didn't need it. If you cover their head, they just lay there. We didn't seem to cause her any kind of stress. Every now and then she'd poke her head out of the towel and say, "Is that my crop you've got pulled out onto the table?? Sure has a fowl smell!" [​IMG] Seriously, she did fine. We sterilized her with Povidone iodine before we started and flushed the crop repeatedly with a sterile saline solution. We have her on Baytril now just as a precaution.

I WISH I could have posted bigger pictures, so they'd be clearer. It doesn't look like much, but it was a PILE of grasses, seeds, corn, etc that we got out of her. It was packed at the bottom of her crop. And it STUNK!!! She is sooooooo much better off today than she was this time yesterday.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  6. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

7. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    wow - inspiring.

8. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    I just cut out a huge abscess on my chickens vent today and I thought I was hot stuff!! You rock!! Best wishes for your patient that she has a speedy recovery!

9. the Old Rebel

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    THANKS everyone.

Just a quick update. Little White Annie is eating and drinking and POOPING!!!! Never thought I'd be so excited about poop. She seems to be doing just fine. I plan to keep her here in the house with me awhile longer, so I can feed her special stuff and build her strength back up. But she seems to be doing just GREAT!!!

Thanks, again, Chickensioux!!!

10. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    we did the same thing to one of our hens the other day. They don't even flinch......doesn't seem to bother them i guess and she is doing great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by