**Warning: GRAPHIC Pics* What should I do besides clean these wounds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ADozenGirlz, Dec 30, 2010.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    My 1.5 yr old white Rock, Martha USED to be at the top of the pecking order but some recent losses to predation and the maturation of our, um...rather amorous rooster, have changed Martha's relative position in the rankings.
    Last week I noticed feather loss on the back of her head from the rooster and today I saw some blood on her feathers, so I took her into the house and what I found was ghastly. I could actually see her neck bone in one spot. My guess is that the other hens must have been pecking at her. I can't believe hens can be so barbaric.

My main question is: What should I do to the injuries beyond having cleaned them?
    Out of curiosity, why are some spots in the injured area green?
    Thanks in advance for your informed opinions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. chicknpappy

chicknpappy New Egg

Dec 16, 2010
    I'm no expert, but i would suggest doing a first time cleaning with hydrogen peroxide and then continually using neosporin with out the pain killer in it. My guess on the green is possibly bruising. sorry for your hen:hugs

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'd put some Neospirin without pain killer on it after cleaning it and I believe the green looking stuff could be infection.
    If you have PenG-I'd give her an injectection of that-supposed to be great for skin infections.
    I'm sure you've already removed her from the rest of the flock. Keep her warm and dry and make sure she's eating and drinking.
    Poor girl. [​IMG]

4. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I did isolate her in the rabbit hutch in the garage (warmer temps than in the coop anyway). I didn't even think of Neosporin. Good call. Thanks. Poor Martha.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

Clean it good, put some Nu-Stock on it, place a the stretchy top band of a sock over it. The green may be bruising or areas of necrotic tissue. WRs are hardy....I bet she will heal right up if you can cover it with a sock so that it can get air but cannot be visualized by the rest of the flock.

Are your chickens confined to a run and coop? I've never seen any of my chickens peck another or injure another enough to cause feather loss or open areas. I've often wondered if I had just been lucky all these years or if it has something to do with free ranging all the time....in a run/coop situation a bird can't get away from more dominant birds, I guess.

Are you sure a predator didn't inflict this damage?

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

7. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I was actually going to ask you what the green areas are--could they be the older ones and already infected?

I would clean well with saline and perhaps a very weak Betadine solution. I would cover the wounds with Neosporin or a Triple Antibiotic (be sure NO pain medication it it!). I would do this at least once a day--twice if possible. keep her indoors in a comfy area and offer plenty of nutritious food and clean water. It wouldn't hurt to give her vitamins and electrolytes in her water to help speed her recovery. Do not allow her outdoors with the flock until she is completely healed. Once she is better it helps to bring her best friend in with her for a couple of days and re-introduce the two of them together at night. Then watch them--carefully-- for re-injury.

You may wish to add a second feeding station and some other distraction to prevent such pecking. Needing more protein will also cause pecking so if that's the case give them some more. Do they have enough space? If not you'll need to address that too. [​IMG]

8. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:My chickens are not confined to a coop or run, HOWEVER, we had a blizzard here on Monday and they would not leave the coop on Monday and on Tuesday, after I shoveled out the snow that drifted into the covered run, they would not leave the run due to the snow on the ground.
    They ventured out into the yard today and yesterday.

Here's our set-up:
    [​IMG]

9. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    bright green pus is usually pseudomonas infection difficult but can be treated, definitely needs antibiotics.. DH is an MD, concurs it looks like pseudomonas. The following is from Wikipedia, and refers to humans.

Antibiotics that have activity against P. aeruginosa include:
    aminoglycosides (gentamicin, amikacin, tobramycin);
    quinolones (ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, and moxifloxacin)
    cephalosporins (ceftazidime, cefepime, cefoperazone, cefpirome, but not cefuroxime, ceftriaxone, cefotaxime)
    antipseudomonal penicillins: ureidopenicillins and carboxypenicillins (piperacillin, ticarcillin: P. aeruginosa is intrinsically resistant to all other penicillins)
    carbapenems (meropenem, imipenem, doripenem, but not ertapenem)
    polymyxins (polymyxin B and colistin)[30]
    monobactams (aztreonam)
    These antibiotics must all be given by injection, with the exception of fluoroquinolones and of aerosolized tobramycin. For this reason, in some hospitals, fluoroquinolone use is severely restricted to avoid the development of resistant strains of P. aeruginosa. In the rare occasions where infection is superficial and limited (for example, ear infections or nail infections), topical gentamicin or colistin may be used.

10. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

Cute setup!!! [​IMG] Love the coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by