**Warning** Graphic rat snake and rat pic

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by noodleroo, May 15, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I almost didn't post this but its probably a good idea; might help somebody. When we had the house re-roofed, a riser got displaced a little and we didn't put a screen over the hole. I was gardening, hear a noise behind me and saw the snake and rat proturding through that hole! I 'enlarged' the hole with my hoe to make sure I could pull them down without either escaping. I made the decision to kill the snake and I wish I wouldn't have; but I have a neighbor that would have a heart attack if she saw either! The snake was about 5' long. The rat w/tail was about a foot long! He was a beautifully marked snake; I do regret my decision...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Beautiful Texas rat there taking care of business, and one less rat in the world but unfortunatly many more will walk now.

3. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Yep, exactly. If I had it to do over again, I'd let the snake go....

4. ellieroo

ellieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Lesson learned [​IMG] glad the next time the rat snake will have a cheerleader [​IMG]

5. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] boy oh boy, I'd be hiding in my bathtub if I saw rats that big... that's as big as a freakin' possum!

But, it'd also take a LOT of self control not to kill the snake... but seeing that bugger I bet I could manage. *shudder*

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Are you telling me that rat and that snake were in your house?????

Cant believe that snake ate (or tried to) that big rat. Im really sorry you killed him, he sure was doing his job well.

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yeah, I'd rather have the snake doing his job than the rat........

8. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Yep, they were in the eves of the attic! I couldn't believe they were there either and I don't know how either of them got up there. I'm hoping that the snake was chasing the rat and just caught him right there, but I don't think so!!! I haven't heard any noises coming from the attic before or since so I have no idea. Its got a screen on it now so hopefully, no more of either....

9. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    I would be worried about more rats in the attic. I'll take a snake(non venomous) any day over a rat. I'm glad that you now realize how important it is having these kinds of snakes around. I'm sure glad that I have a few around.

10. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Yeah, like I said, I almost didn't post this. I've always let the 'good' snakes go too, but I have one neighbor who just finished a grueling round of chemo treatments who is very weak and another neighbor recovering from lung surgery that are both terrified of snakes; neither one can even look at a picture of a snake. I feel badly about killing it, but I wanted those of you that haven't seen one in action to see what they can do so you'll let one live if you come across one. This picture really shows the markings on the snake well.

That is a really big rat; I've never seen any rats here-hope that was the only one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by