WARNING...MAGPIES

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rockyroo, May 12, 2008.

1. rockyroo

rockyroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    I heard a lot of chirping when i went into my house for a cup of tea i looked out the window and low and behold a magpie was in the pen with the chicks they are 2 weeks old and i left them out for a while today as its a lovely day i live in ireland so we have too make the most of nice weather.I ran out and he had my favourite chick killed called stripes an rir i was gutted the magpie must have been waiting for me too move.Little did the magpie realize that i am an avid hunter so i left things settle down got my silencer for the rifle ready put on the magpie call went inside the house and hey presto magpie appears in the crossfire of my scope and bang...DEAD MAGPIEmoral of the story watch the skies when ur chicks are out...at least i can grieve for my chick in peace now as i was gutted.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Sheesh! Nature can be so cruel. So sorry for your loss. [​IMG] We will be watching the skies, for sure. My biggest problem around here are the hawks, which are protected and are illegal to shoot.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm really sorry about your baby. I remember magpies when we lived out west-we don't have them here in N. Ga. They are bold, good-sized birds, and I can see them eating young chicks, just like crows will.

4. rockyroo

Apr 13, 2008
    Yep magpies r vicious ......beautiful birds but they are on the vermin list in ireland no wonder they r....this means u can shoot too kill

5. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG]
    We had a couple eagles flying over today. I happen to be outside giving the chicks a treat, flour tortilla, they love it, and I heard to call and all the chicks ran for cover of the trees and under the chicken house so I started watching and seen them circle abour 250 feet up over the run area about 3 times before they moved on.

I hope they stay gone.

6. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2008
    I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG] I have Hawks, Magpies, Crows, Robins, Owls....yeah, every big pesky bird you can think of...here in Central Oregon. I want to free range but I'll wait until my girls are pretty much full grown before I put them out without protection.

7. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    So sorry for your loss. I just love my babies and am gonna make there run as predator proff as possible. Good luck with the rest of your babies.

8. rockyroo

Apr 13, 2008
    i no its my own fault really but i did think it wud be ok for 2 mins ill never turn my back again...catfish and arctic fox if i had those predators i wudnt go outside myself lol

9. rockyroo

Apr 13, 2008
    just too close this off ...........Stripes my chick RIP XX

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by