(WARNING: nasty photo of injury) What got her and is there any hope for recovery?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hogs and Horns, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Hogs and Horns

Hogs and Horns Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2011
    Sorry this photo is brutal. The white parts are the hydrogen peroxide bubbles.

I came home last night from work and found our poor New Hampshire red hen had been attacked during the day. This is the first time any predator has attacked our girls, and I'm clueless. From the location and size of the bites (on her back, at the base of her tail), I'm guessing she was attacked by something on the ground that chased her rather than a bird of prey.

1. Is there any hope for her?

2. I poured hydrogen peroxide on it last night. I washed it with soapy warm water and poured more peroxide again this morning. She is in a dog crate inside the house to keep it clean, prevent flies from getting on it, and separate her from the other hen. (Other hen is secured in the coop....no free-ranging.)

3. The local vet said he doesn't treat chickens.

4. There is a farm supply store in the next town over. I will buy VetRX, Rooster Booster, and Blu-Kote later this morning.

[​IMG]

THANK YOU for any help you can provide!!!

2. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    I have seen this with a Possum attack.

3. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Instead of hydrogen peroxide, clean with diluted betadyne. Hyrdrogen peroxide can damage healthy tissue.
    Use antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever in it-that's toxic to chickens) or Vetericyn gel instead of blue kote. Blue kote it is not for open wounds like this.
    Make sure she's drinking and eating -fluids are of utmost importance and you may have to tube her.
    Of course there's hope. Chickens are remarkably resilient when given care. I would clean her wounds daily for the next few days, then dry the wound and apply antibiotic or vetericyn. Don't cover the wounds. Keep her warm and quiet. You've done the right thing by bringing her inside. The Rooster Booster will help.
    Let us know how she's doing!

2 people like this.
  4. Honey B

Honey B Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2015
    Georgia
    Hoping for a speedy recovery for your hen. Keep us posted.

5. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Interested too see the recovery process. Can you post more pics?

6. Hogs and Horns

Dec 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

This is how she looked Saturday afternoon. Thanks to your kind advice, I am using diluted Betadine to clean her twice a day. Then she gets Vetericyn hydro gel twice a day. She gets a few drops of warmed VetRx directly into her throat at night, and I added Rooster Booster "vitamins and electrolytes with Lacto Bacillus" to her water. Her stools are not yet normal, still too soft, but she's eating and drinking. She's under a heat lamp in the house.

7. Hogs and Horns

Dec 17, 2011
    [​IMG]

This is a photo of her on Sunday morning. I trimmed more of her feathers because they were still getting in the wounds. Unfortunately, I took this photo after I began spraying the Vetericyn gel. There are (what appear to my untrained eye) a couple of nearly transparent sacks on the surface, near the upper right edge of her wounds. I suspect they could hold pus. This morning, I punctured one and cleaned it again with diluted Betadine and sprayed it with Vetericyn. What do you guys think? Could the small sacks be indicative of infection or are they something else? What else can we do for her? Thank you SO much for your wonderfully kind help!!!

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I read somewhere that betadine can also cause tissue damage, so you might want to research using something like Chlorhexidine instead. FWIW, to the best of my knowledge, betadine is not supposed to be diluted.

-Kathy

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    2 people like this.
  9. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    Ooooh Manuka honey would be great. The have the +32 active stuff at wegmans. It's expenaive but it is very medicinal. It looks good as far as a big wound goes. Your doing a great job [​IMG]

10. Hogs and Horns

Dec 17, 2011
    Thank you, Kathy! I will get the supplies you mention to follow the advice you gave me. God willing, this little gal will pull through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by