warning of sorts

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by turney31, Jun 20, 2010.

1. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    This morning I was throwing scratch grain to my girls out of a bucket. I was stung by what I assume was a scorpion. I think the chickens ate whatever it was because I could not find it. Very painful! My hand is very swollen. I will be checking buckets before I fill them. I just might use a feeder for scratch or use a spoon to throw it. Yea retarded I know. Does any one know if a scorpion can sting more than once? I have 3 different welts. Benadryl, Lortab and ice. They are nasty acting little creatures. Just letting you kind people know so you can be more aware.

Micah

2. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I will now be thankful that the earwigs in my feed are harmless and just extra protien for the girls...

Do you need to go to a Dr.?

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Yep they can can sting multiple times, but typically the sting is not any worse than a bee sting. My family lived in Texas for a time and everyone got their fair share of stings ~ even in bed!

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Ouch for your poor hand.

Yes, they can sting more than once and are lightning fast with their tail. I hope your girls did gobble it down - dang stinger!

Have to watch for them here also - pale almost see thru body - they are stinkers.

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Yep they can can sting multiple times, but typically the sting is not any worse than a bee sting. My family lived in Texas for a time and everyone got their fair share of stings ~ even in bed!

Yep, that would be me, when I lived in Wimberley. Also, scorpions love heat- it you have a light fixture with a glass cover, be very careful when removing it to change a light bulb. Had 3 of them in a fixture one time. Then I had to buy a new cover, cause that one broke when I dropped it!

Micah, I made/cut a scoop out of a plastic jug so I wouldn't have to stick my hand in and feed. Hope your hand heals fast and painlessly!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  6. Chicks&Chihuahuas

Chicks&Chihuahuas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Owwie! I HATE scorpions!

I guess it's a good thing that I keep my scratch bucket inside. Of course, it is right inside the sliding glass door so the girls all line up at the door and stare at it first thing in the morning and then after work.

7. turney31

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    I do use a scoop to get feed out of the barrel. It also has a tight fitting lid. It stung me when I was getting feed out of the bucket to throw with my bare hand. I have done this a thousand times. I googled treatment- followed that. I don't think a Dr. visit is necessary. This was not like a bee or a wasp. this was very painful. Thank you for your kind words.

Micah

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ewww...and I thought our spiders were bad!

9. kitaye

kitaye Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    South Lancaster
    Take a tea bag and wet it in boiling water and apply it to the stings. Should take the sting out and help with the swelling. Something about tannic acids in the tea. We used to live in Florida and this was what my grandmother did when we got stung.

10. turney31

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Thanks I will try that!

Micah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by