***Warning re: Ebay and PayPal ***

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Three Cedars Silkies, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have always been a huge fan of Ebay and PayPal and have bought and sold many items over the years. However, just as a warning...Ebay and more importantly PayPal policies have changed.

Here's the story:
    I sold a bunch of old vintage oil lamp parts. Buyer paid around $33.00 but did not wish to purchase shipping insurance. Box was sent Parcel Post by USPS. I received an email from buyer that box was "torn up" and a couple of glass items were broken...they had been wrapped in bubblewrap. I explained that I was truly sorry but once the box leaves my hands at the PO, there was nothing more I could do. That's why I encourage buyers to purchase insurance. The buyer filed a "not as described" complaint with PayPal. I responded to PayPal with the above information. PayPal first "held" the funds in my PP account, then refunded the buyers $$ after the buyer shipped the package back to me. PayPal's response was "we guarantee the buyer's satisfaction". I was outraged and filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in California against PayPal and they sent me a "courtesy" refund.

This is happening to sellers across the country. I'm only posting it here as a warning to all you folks that use PayPal. From now on, if I ever sell on Ebay again (which is unlikely) I will insist that the buyer purchase insurance to protect me from something like this happening again.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Same thing happened her bud. Guy bought the items "as-is" with no insurance. Everything was fine and nicely wrapped. everything went in the way it looked in the picture. One of the items we paid $80.00 brand new was a resident evil chainsaw. He took it out of the box and smashed it. Sent the items back and he got refunded. the chainsaw controller alone was $80.00 and thats what he paid Plus it came with DVD's, games, and a PS2! He broke the laser on the [email protected] as well that went from $200 down to $0.00. He did a dispute saying everything came in broken. I said to paypal that he did not pay for insurance and everything was sold "as-is". I no longer sell on ebay.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:It wouldn't hurt to do an online complaint to the BBB in San Jose California. Do a Google search and it will come up. I had my $$ back within 7-10 days.

4. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I hear what you are saying, but I have required insurance and have you ever had to file a claim with this Post office? It would take an act of congress to get any money back from them! The package could be packed in gold lined bubble wrap 5 inches thick and they would find something wrong so to not have to pay the claim and it takes months! I don't know what to do...the buyers are protected and the sellers have no protection at all! any ideas out there??

5. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Wow, that is good info to have, I had no idea PayPal would do that. It has been a while since I have sold anything.

6. Tsagirl

Tsagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Eugene,OR
    So I completely agree with this paypal statment!
    This happened to my husband and I yet worse about a couple of weeks ago. He ended up writing to the paper and we had to deal with financial hell because of Paypal! He will never again have account with them and I am glad I NEVER used them..........
    [​IMG]
    here is the letter...............

Warning to PayPal Users

I wanted to warn the community, and anyone you may know, that if you use PayPal for online financial transactions you're risking going through your own personal PayPal hell. I wasn't aware of the potential risks and unfortunate policies of PayPal until recently when my account was used for unauthorized transactions amounting to over $522 (28 transactions at $13.76 and 1 at $137), by transaction "spoofing." I mistakenly felt secure because PayPal has fraud protection and I never considered that I would need to use it. I was even further surprised by their handling of the incident and that they do nothing to minimize the negative impacts to their customers.

I was informed, during my third call trying to get my money back, that they have up to ten business days starting the day you report the unauthorized use of your account to refund your money. They also send you an email apologizing for the inconvenience and advise you that you're responsible for resolving any overdraft or over limit charges that may have occurred with your financial institution. While $522 may not be much for some, for others it could have led to a cascade of overdraft fees and bounced checks--I should feel lucky.

Oh, the frustrations haven't ended and my personal PayPal hell that started earlier this month will drag into next, and while I'd like to give more horrifying details I'll spare myself further personal embarrassment. I've only used their service a few times to buy a couple of gifts online and unfortunately now I know their service is not worth the risk. A quick Google search turned up a warning I wish I had seen a couple months ago, so hopefully this will help you. See: www.paypalwarning.com & www.paypalsucks.com

7. aiwetir

aiwetir Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    portland, or
    i've been on both ends of disputes like this and IMO shipping losses are the cost of doing business, i don't ship usps because something like 90% of their insurance claims don't get paid, thus it's a scam.

i just insure everything with fedex and pass it on with the shipping charges.

i can take either side, the buyer surely didn't order broken stuff and you surely didn't ship broken stuff. who should lose out ? neither really, just ship insured from now on and you won't lose.

8. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Paypal fees have gone up alot too. I'm thinking of going back to the buyer sending me a check and waiting for it to clear.

9. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Lesson learned! I too had an issue, now EVERYTHING is sent with INs and with Delivery Confirmantion, therefore protecting yourself as a seller. [​IMG]

10. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Huh, I didn't know this. Sounds like having the buyer send a money order/check is the best way to go. However, I myself always use paypal to buy things because I know I am covered if the seller doesn't send it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by