WARNING!!! Small Children Often Take What They Hear LITERALLY!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by OldGuy43, Dec 12, 2012.

1. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

While watching the news this morning I was reminded of an incident in my childhood. I set the "Way Back Machine" for circa 1950 and remembered my family talking about going to PTA meetings, and talking about, "Well Mrs so-&-so got up and made a motion about this and Mr. so-&-so made a motion that we do that." Since children did not normally go to PTA meetings (or any other 'adult' functions) I had no frame of reference and was very disappointed when I did get to attend one (I think we were putting on a short skit or something) and found that no one was actually "making motions". I had fully expected that folks would stand up and wave their arms around thus "making motions."

While this was a harmless misunderstanding there is a phrase that the media is using that has me worried; "falling over the fiscal cliff". Small children may not know what fiscal means, but they do know what a cliff is. One network news program even showed a picture of a cliff as a visual aid.

[​IMG]

That misunderstanding could create a real trauma for a child. Think about the image it could leave in the imagination of a small child.

Please, please don't let your kinder watch programs with an adult orientation alone. Be there for them to explain that we all aren't going to fall off a cliff. [​IMG]

Corrected a grammatical error.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

This reminds me of a time when I was just a girl (not too long ago, but it relates to this topic).

I always heard that second hand smoke kills.

I watched my aunt's friend pass a cigarette to my aunt. I started bawling. I thought second hand smoke was passing a cigarette from one person's hand, to another person's hand. My dad had a good laugh, but I was very embarrassed after the fact. I thought my aunt was going to die!

So it's true. Kids do take things literally.

3. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    yep, as a kid I was once told to "pull my socks up" as in pick up my act and stop throwing a tantrum... I literally pulled my socks up lol

but the fiscal cliff is a difficult one for kids to understand for sure

4. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I don't know if this counts, but my dad once told my little brother to "park his butt". Sam literally tried to park his butt.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    OldGuy you just conjured up an image of young children throwing themselves off a cliff in a lemming-like rush-------- [​IMG]

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    When I was little I begged my father to take me with him the next time he went to "Monkey (Montgomery) Wards". He did and I was soo disappointed. I looked and looked, but there wasn't a monkey to be found anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by