Warning to rabbit and chicken owners

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shortlegs2, Jan 22, 2007.

1. shortlegs2

shortlegs2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    New Zealand
    I would like to remind anyone who keeps there chickens in with there rabbits or vice versa, if you are using an electric heater base to keep youre water unfrozen, the electric cord ~~~~WILL BE CHEWED ON~~~~

This is VERY dangerous!!! You could have a fire in the coop or electricute youre bunny. I know this from experience.

JUst a reminder...........Toni

2. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

GOOD INFO!

What is is with rabbits liking electric cords so much? Friend of mine put hot sauce spray on her cords inside the house....rabbit doesn't like electric cords anymore!!!

Should also mention that electric cords seem to be liked by most rodents as well....mice sure can do a number on your wiring (personal experience).

Sandra

3. BalancedCAmom

BalancedCAmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Hi,
    My kids have been begging for a rabbit. I live in very warm southern Ca and have a very nice 2 level hen house. The top being concrete bottom with fancy nests the lower level being dirt floor with multiple perches both completely fenced with a roof.
    I am just wondering if it would be possible to house a rabbit in the lower pen? Any ideas. Will the birds bother the rabbit? I have six chickens, the 4 which are the same age (1 year) usually stay up top they just come down to dry wash. My other two which are rather timid Americaunas (their 2 siblings were killed by a dog) only like to stay below, 14 nesting boxes total. Would it be possible to just build a wooden house where the rabbits can sleep?

I also have electricity for warming light when needed, which is not often but these past two months have dipped into freeze.
    Thanks Lisa

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Rabbits like to chew on cords because it is similar to their natural activity of stripping and nipping roots and twigs. I have a house bunny who has access to the entire downstairs all the time. All my electrical cords are covered with airline tubing - just split it lengthwise and slip it over the cord. Granted, it isn't too attractive, but I've managed to hide most of it with furniture.
    As for keeping a bunny in a chicken coop, that's something I've never heard of! I suppose it would depend on the temperament of the critters in question; an aggressive bunny doing charges at a chicken may provoke a pecking, and buns are very prone to infection and abcesses. A well-placed peck on the eyeball could be very bad.
    You may want to check out the website of the House Rabbit Society - www.rabbit.org. I see you are from California - they are very active out there and can also help you with adopting a bunny or two. They have great info on and links to all things bunny, including designs for hutches. The biggest housing dangers for bunnies are dampness and temperature extremes, especially heat.
    Amy

5. LICHICK

LICHICK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2007
    New York
    I house my rabbit with the chickens & they dont bother each other at all. He sleeps with the girls & they keep each other warm. He has his own dish with rabbit pellets. I have a heated water dish that is on a large platform so dirt doesnt get in it. I have the water dish facing the fence with the cord going out thru the fence so rabbit really cant get at the cord. I have clear plastic stapled on the open run wall with a hole cut out for the cord in the winter so the wind cant get in.

6. shortlegs2

shortlegs2 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    New Zealand
    Yes you definately can house them together. The only problem I have EVER run into was when I had a broody hen. She went after my bunny, good thing rabbits can run fast..LOL

Also, you will find that the rabbits will also eat the layer/chicken feed. Mine have been doing it for 5 years and they are healty as can be.

Hugs, Toni

http://www.236mennella.com

7. BalancedCAmom

BalancedCAmom Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    thanks for the info. I am so excited, my two hens that I was thinking of housing the bunnies with are very timid and have a large cage. They love to be up high in their cage on their multiple perches so I had hoped it would work. I will try the adoption rabbit route, thanks for all the help!
    Lisa

8. purplebaby

purplebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    east long island
    is there a benefit to having a bunny with the chckens or just cause bunnies are cute?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by