***Warning***Very graphic Pictures.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by quintinp, Oct 28, 2011.

1. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Just a little while ago my friend/neighbor wanted some chickens, well, he had a shed. So me and him made a pretty decent chicken coop. After we got it finished, of course he wanted chickens right away. So I had sold him 4 chickens, 2 gold laced polish/rhode island reds, 1 black sex link hen, and a Black sex link Rooster. All together I told him 10 dollars was fine. I didn't want them. I wanted to purify the flock to one breed. That's why he got them for so cheap. Well today, all of his chickens were attacked by an unknown predator, 2 were found dead: the sex link hen, and one of the gold laced reds. And the other gold laced polish/rhode island red wasn't able to move, so I had to kill it. The rooster is able to walk but he is in very bad condition. The pictures you will see are the ones of what had been killed by the predator. The suspects are either a Schnauzer, or a Opossum.

Here is the sex link hen before the tragedy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] She was a great layer while I had her. Can you identify the suspect that probably did this?

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I can not help you there. But I am so sorry for this devesation. How horrible. I am so sorry. [​IMG]

3. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    This is the gold laced polish/ rhode island red hen. Her and her sister both died today.

This is her with her sister before: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Im so sorry for your loss [​IMG] , [​IMG] I have never had an opossum attack, but I have had a few dog attacks. They can rip up the chickens pretty bad [​IMG]

5. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:Do you know if a Schnauzer could do this type of thing?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm sure a schnauzer could do this sort of thing - they are terriers and gamey and fiesty. I just don't think a dog would bite them that way. I've heard they just kill them(playing?) but don't eat them. Maybe a raccoon - were any carried away or mostly eaten on the spot? How awful.

7. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:Well, the only other suspect could be an Opossum. None were carried away. They were found this afternoon in the coop.

8. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    My best guess would be a dog. Sorry.

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    looks like a dog mauling to me [​IMG] sorry for your loss [​IMG]

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps