Warning!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jhm47, Dec 31, 2008.

  1. jhm47

    jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

    575
    6
    141
    Sep 7, 2008
    All: This is somewhat off topic, but I hope that it will be helpful to some of you:

    Recently, a friend had to have their 5-year old German Shepherd dog put down due to liver failure. The dog was completely healthy until a few weeks ago, so they had a necropsy done to see what the cause was. The liver levels were unbelievable, as if the dog had ingested poison of some kind. The dog is kept inside, and when he's outside, someone's with him, so the idea of him getting into something unknown was hard to believe.

    My neighbor started going through all the items in the house. When he got to the Swiffer Wetjet, he noticed, in very tiny print, a warning which stated 'may be harmful to small children and animals.' He called the company to ask what the contents of the cleaning agent are and was astounded to find
    out that antifreeze is one of the ingredients (actually, he was told it's a compound which is one molecule away from antifreeze). Therefore , just by the dog walking on the floor cleaned with the solution, then licking its own paws, it ingested enough of the solution to destroy its liver.

    Soon after his dog's death, his housekeepers' two cats also died of liver failure. They both used the Swiffer Wetjet for quick cleanups on their floor. Necropsies weren't done on the cats, so they couldn't file a lawsuit, but he asked that we spread the word to as many people as possible so they don't lose their animals.

    This is equally harmful to babies and small children that play on the floor a lot and put their fingers in their mouths a lot.

    PLEASE, EVEN IF YOU DO NOT HAVE BABIES, SMALL CHILDREN OR OWN A PET; PLEASE FORWARD THIS ON! YOU MAY NOT HAVE ANY CHILDREN OR PETS BUT SOME OF YOU HAVE FRIENDS OR FAMILY WITH PETS AND ALSO FAMILIES WITH GRANDCHILDREN AND GREAT GRANDCHILDREN
     
  2. Pumpkinpup

    Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

    Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have heard of other instances of this happening as well. It can and does kill dogs and cats. People should be more aware of this! I have one but we do not have any inside pets to walk on the floor.
    They should have to mark the warning large enough so consumers can actually see it! [​IMG]
     
  3. miss_jayne

    miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

    Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    the same can happen with any pine cleaner for cats. it is lethal also.
     
  4. MichiganWoods

    MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

    Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG] I have four cats and I use the Swiffer Wetjet! I wonder how much damage I've done to them?? [​IMG]
     
  5. CovenantCreek

    CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

    Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    A friend recently forwarded the same email to me last week. Another good reason not to clean.......... [​IMG]
     
  6. Fudgie

    Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

    [​IMG] I like your thinking! Save the animals....don't clean or mop!
     
  7. skand

    skand Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Ive never liked swiffer or any of the other 'easy cleaning' floor cleaners. They are a waste of money, they dont clean near as good as a broom/dustpan, and they dont scrub near as well as a rag and elbow grease. lol And, not that I'm a green person, but, they are just plain a waste!
     
  8. Fudgie

    Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

    I agree skand! nothing like a good old bucket and rag to clean up the floor the way I want it clean! I also cannot stand the smell of it. makes me sick to my stomach!

    I heard the same thing about FaBreeze that it can cause death in animals. A friend of mine had a schnauzer die from it.
     
  9. MichiganWoods

    MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

    Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:I guess cleaning in our house is "going green". I used to use Fabreeze too.
     
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  10. gckiddhouse

    gckiddhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

    Dec 9, 2008
    Desert Hills, AZ
    FYI, y'all. According to snopes, this one is not true. A lot of stuff gets passed around on the internet. This one is an old one. Sorry to burst the bubble. I don't like the swiffer either, but sure not fair to send rumors around that it kills pets.
    http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/swiffer.asp
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by