Warning!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by branston, Dec 2, 2011.

1. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    So......Big Mama went broody on me again Nov 21st. She was sat on one of her own eggs so I popped one of Stevie Nicks and one of Tina Turner's eggs under her too, 3 in total. Today, I went to set up the dog crate inside the coop so Big Mama can hatch her chicks in peace and the rest of the flock can't get to the chicks, but they can see them. I picked Mama up and there are SEVEN eggs under her!!!!!!! How in the world did that happen?????!!!!!!! I have 5 hens (Big Mama being one of the 5) and the roo plus we have the two chicks Mama hatched Sept 21st. I've been collecting 3/4 eggs aday!!!! (BTW, I don't care what anyone says........SILKIES REALLY ARE good layers, mine are laying like little troopers!)

2. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    So, you all must be as baffled as I am? Hens don't lay once they go broody.....right? So I can only assume that 1. The other hens have been laying eggs near big Mama and popping them up her? 2. The others have been laying their eggs and then rolling them across the coop to pop them under Big Mama ? Or 3. Big Mama has been getting up and wondering around the coop collecting the other's eggs, rolling them across the coop and popping them in her nest with the others?

3. ladyomaha

ladyomaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Kansas
    LMAO, I had to Read and RE-read what you wrote. You got some Smart chickens there!!!

4. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Big Mama is probably stealing more eggs for her to sit on.

5. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    My geese will continue to lay once they go broody [​IMG] ! I have three gooses that share one nest. They all take turns laying in it. Miss Andrea is the broody queen though. Once she goes broody Miss Adell and Miss Penelope will stop laying but Miss Andrea will keep laying. I take the eggs away every morning trying to break the broody [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] since our summers are so hot and scorching but she will continue to lay untill I lock her out of the coop during the day. Once I even found three large rocks in her nest [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. kissem37

kissem37 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Gainesville
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Maybe when she gets up to eat, drink and poop the other girls are laying their eggs in her nest box. A lot of birds when they notice some eggs in a certain nest they will go and lay their eggs in there too. Just a suggestion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by