Warren odd behaviour when picked up

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Odin1918, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Odin1918

Odin1918 New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    East Yorkshire UK
    I have four Warren hens 18 weeks old, on of them Nugget who is very friendly and is always following me about in the garden started to do an odd thing when picked up.

The other three try to avoid being picked up but when caught they appear to be ok with it, I have had them two weeks so I'm not expecting them to be sat with me watching TV.

Nugget so times when I pick her up she squats down hunches her wings up and makes a chipping like noise. It's like an anxious reaction but she is fine and quite happy when held.

They all paper to be happy when held I hold them securely around the body keeping there wings close in one had and stroke them core reassurance with my freehand.

Any ideas on why Nugget does the odd squat hunched up bit?

2. chooks01

chooks01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2015
    I believe that's called a submissive squat, my isa brown does the same thing so that means egg might come soon [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep!

That's what a pullet/hen does when a cockerel/cock wants to mate her, she squats down to transfer the weight of him on her back off her legs and down to the ground.

It means she's reaching sexual maturity and should lay soon.

4. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Yup, that's the squat! Called submissive or egg squat, that is a great sign that fresh eggs are in your forecast! Her face and comb should be turn8ng a brighter red too, all signs that eggs are imminent. Yay!

5. chooks01

chooks01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2015
    Yay got my very first egg from my ISA brown suki

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Odin1918

Odin1918 New Egg

Feb 21, 2015
    East Yorkshire UK
    Brilliant thank you all and she laid her first egg on Saturday which was small but very nice

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by