Warring Pekin Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gretchenhau, Apr 24, 2009.

1. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    We raised 6 ducks last year, 4 made it all thru the winter etc. I hatched 2 new ducklings in December and one that is slightly crippled in February. They fight like gangs, we joke we have the bloods and the cribs. I had to rescue one from under frozen water then the ducks from out front attached it and it went under the ice, Had to shake it to get it breathing.

What do I do to get them to al least tolerate each other and not send off 2 to try and kill the other ones. This is making me crazy.

2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    wow,I never new ducks were so mean to each other,Ive always thought of them as peacfull,loving things [​IMG] .What i would do is if you have a run seperate it in half with chicken wire or somthing make so that they can see each other and not attack each other than hopefully as time goes on they will become use to the presence of one another and you can let them free range together then eventually let them sleep in the same coop. GL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gretchenhau

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    Each set has their own seperate pond, but 2 go off on aseek and destroy mission, It has taken both my husband and I to get 2 off the other one duck. I vision them wearing bandannas and duck graffitti

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    How many females do you have versus males?!

5. gretchenhau

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    5 females, 3 males, one group consists of 2 males and 2 females, the other group that I have to rescue the female continually is 1 male and one female, and the slightly crippled one is a female that no one wants.

Arrgh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by