Wart-like growth on wattles

RacillaTheHen

Chirping
Mar 15, 2013
Hello everyone,
while I am still trying to find a poultry vet ( anyone from Space Coast, FL here with recommendation???) has someone seen this?
Pictured is my Rose Nylund, 6 months old, cream legbar. Three weeks ago, this started as a small "zit". One other hen had it too - for her, it resolved on its own and there is no lesion whatsoever. Rose's kept on growing. I thought: fowl pox, dry form, unfortunate, but will turn and fall off eventually.

I have my flock on organic grower pellets, lactofermented whole grain, regular scratch, they have such a smorgasbord of organic veggies every day they eat better than most people. They have ACV in their water. I keep them clean, coop is mobile, no longer than a week on one spot. I'm just saying: husbandry is A-OK. All other girls are healthy. They are all active and eating me happily outta house:)

My husband found one picture here, where "Angela" the hen had a similar growth - albeit smaller - and someone suggested it was canker ( T. Gallinae ) I served a few years in wildlife rehab, I have never seen an external lesion of this size without some kind of "cottage cheese" internally - but I conceded it's plausible, so I started her on Metronidazole. We are three days into medicating her and I just noticed there is now a "baby wart" right next to it and its starting to turn black. What do you all think?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20201219_163935403.jpg
    IMG_20201219_163935403.jpg
    470.4 KB · Views: 26
It would be good to see a picture of the lesion of your actual hen. Do you notice a bad odor coming from her beak? Can you see any yellow plaques inside the beak? Fowl pox is very common in FL, so it sounds a bit like the dry form. Usually with pox, you will see scabs in various development on combs, wattles, face, and earlobes. Wet fowl pox can cause yellow lesions inside the beak that look similar to canker, but canker is said to smell rotten.

It would be good to see a picture of the lesion of your actual hen. Do you notice a bad odor coming from her beak? Can you see any yellow plaques inside the beak? Fowl pox is very common in FL, so it sounds a bit like the dry form. Usually with pox, you will see scabs in various development on combs, wattles, face, and earlobes. Wet fowl pox can cause yellow lesions inside the beak that look similar to canker, but canker is said to smell rotten.
Picture is attached in the post. Hard to photograph, but it gives you an idea. There is no foul odor, no other lesions, wet or dry anywhere else, nothing on other girls either.

Back
Top Bottom