Wart-like growths on toes of 6-week old EE (Pic included)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by happychickmom, Oct 10, 2009.

1. happychickmom

happychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    :/My 6-week-old EE (I think pullet) has wart-like growths on her feet. Her 5 hatchmates do not show similar symptoms at this time. We just went through fowl pox with my 4 month old chickens, but they are far separated from the younger chicks. I have been wearing one pair of shoes and tending to the young chicks first - then I wash my hands, change shoes and go feed the infected chickens. Could this be fowl pox or something different? She shows no other growths anywhere else on her body.

The growths are pinkish with a darker head. Notice the lump on the long toe, left foot - also on the "thumb" of the right foot. I'm not sure if the back of the left "thumb" has a lump or if that is dirt.

[​IMG]

By the way, this little chick is sooo sweet. She loves to be stroked on her neck and back, and she is most definitely becoming the favorite of all 18 of my chickens. None of the others are anywhere near that friendly. So I'd really like to know if this is something to be concerned about.[​IMG]

Edit: Hi, this is HappyChickMom's daughter. I think I fixed it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. happychickmom

Jul 24, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Ideas, anyone?

3. Billy7871

Billy7871 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I am no expert but I am so sorry I hope that you get some answers soon!!

[​IMG]

4. rstampa

rstampa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    I really don't know what that is. It does look like a fire ant bite to me but that's just a guess. I sure hope someone can help you.
    I found this artical on: Just something to look into that's all.

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryTemplate_Process.cfm?Story_No=1727#ct-6

"Fowl
    pox
    Another viral infection of birds is fowl pox. This disease is spread by biting insects and sometimes by fighting. The virus enters the body through a scratch or scrape, and raised scabs form on the scratch and surrounding areas. Scabs can also form in the mouth and throat. Most cases improve without treatment, although some birds become ill from secondary infection. Birds that recover are immune for life.

Prevention is again the best idea, and vaccination is available, although this may need to be done every few years to give complete protection."

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  5. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    No idea but I am bumping you hoping someone will see this....

6. happychickmom

Jul 24, 2009
    SE Louisiana
    Thanks for the input and bumps, everyone.

Rstampa, I never even thought about ant bites. We have fire ants in abundance here, and that is very likely.

If anyone else has any other ideas, additional posts will be appreciated.[​IMG]

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Photos would be a BIG help [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    They really almost look like fire ant stings to me!! I noticed your from Louisiana too and their horrible right now!!! I haven't so much noticed them in my brooder but definetly on the group where the feed falls down and I've treated 2 huge beds in my big coop just the other day!!!

Hope you figure it out and she gets better!!

Missi

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I have cable and it still took forever for the pic to load up!! [​IMG]

Missi

10. gottalovemychickens

gottalovemychickens SaveAChickenRideACowboy

Quote:I have cable and it still took forever for the pic to load up!! [​IMG]

Missi

i have T3 internet and it still took a bit hehe wow hmmm wonder why

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by