Wart-like Pox growing on comb, wattle, and under eye, as well as drowsiness and weakness. HELP (pict

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuanchang, Nov 10, 2012.

1. kuanchang

kuanchang New Egg

May 29, 2012
    So, about a month or two ago, my Welsummer hen started growing these warts and scabs around her head, mostly on her comb and wattle and a big one under her eye. I also noticed, she would sometimes start dozing off as she was foraging through my backyard at random intervals (not sure if related though). Think it might be avian pox, and if so, how should I deal with this, because I know it could be come contagious. Any help is appreciated! Sorry about the image quality..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    My mom's seebright almost died when she got these. Her whole head and face were lumpy.You could tell she really felt bad She usually just sat in the feed bowl as it was too much effort to get out. We kept her inside to keep her warm and fed her (by hand when she would not eat) twice a day and gave her vitamins and scrambled egg. The bumps were so bad they affected her balance. It took two or three months for her to completely get over it. The other hen only had the regular pox spots and she was done in a month or so and you couldn't tell she was bothered at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by